Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Re: Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Post by Drum »

Eddie Honda wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:17 pm Is there sufficient voltage across the motor/solenoid in situ?
Battery is fully charged but I guess I could try a different feed to the solenoid.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Guest wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:30 pm Just face it, the starter motor hates you and you need to buy another. By the way, is the engine earthed properly?
Starter motors do hate me. The Davie Broon just clicks and I could really do with using it, I had to get my 109's rebuilt and I seem to remember daughter's polo needed a wee earth wire but the auto spark told me it was fucked and put on a new one! The allegro's is dodgy too.

I'll hook a bfo battery to it in situ and see what happens
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Hooli wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:31 pm
Eddie Honda wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:43 am
Hooli wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:27 am That's strange then as the same bloke passed it last year after the repair was done. He failed it this year saying the rules have changed.
Have you upset him Andrew? :lol:

He's talking out of his arse. Nothing has changed.

It's not "always been a fail". Plenty of subframes are welded together when new.

Hence whilst Section 5.3.3 (Suspension arms, rods, struts, sub-frames, anti-roll bars etc.) poo-poos welding as an unsafe modification [5.3.3.(c)(1) fail major], Appendix A - 6. Highly stressed components says:
Welded repairs to highly stressed components are not normally acceptable, other than where the component is made up of sections that are welded together. To pass, the repair should appear to be as strong as the original design.
I don't even know the guy, my mum is 194miles away & obviously gets her cars tested down there.

Thanks for the links though Eddie, I'll pass the info on.
If she gets stuck, I might be able to help assuming it has been welded properly, couple of the local MOT men are banger racers so used to seeing all sorts.
christine

Post by christine »

Gamekeeper wanted a winch frame made for the back of his Lawn Rover today , to winch in the dead deer , as ( strong as wee wee,) boy gamekeeper is in hospital . I was wondering why the 14mm bolts supplied with the winch, were only 4.8 tensile ? They're in shear too, 4 of them . I thought the cable hook was always made the ductile /malleable part that gave way slowly ,rather than snapping under strain ?
Not that it matters in this case as the frame is only bolted to the back body tub capping :lol: :lol:
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

christine wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:53 pm Gamekeeper wanted a winch frame made for the back of his Lawn Rover today , to winch in the dead deer , as ( strong as wee wee,) boy gamekeeper is in hospital . I was wondering why the 14mm bolts supplied with the winch, were only 4.8 tensile ? They're in shear too, 4 of them . I thought the cable hook was always made the ductile /malleable part that gave way slowly ,rather than snapping under strain ?
Not that it matters in this case as the frame is only bolted to the back body tub capping :lol: :lol:
How heavy is a dead Bambi?
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
christine

Post by christine »

If its shot in the head , no eye dear
The biggest around here are Fallow about 75kg bucks
There may be a few bigger red deer ,that escape parks , but rare around S.E.
jon928se

Post by jon928se »

christine wrote:Gamekeeper wanted a winch frame made for the back of his Lawn Rover today , to winch in the dead deer , as ( strong as wee wee,) boy gamekeeper is in hospital . I was wondering why the 14mm bolts supplied with the winch, were only 4.8 tensile ? They're in shear too, 4 of them . I thought the cable hook was always made the ductile /malleable part that gave way slowly ,rather than snapping under strain ?
Not that it matters in this case as the frame is only bolted to the back body tub capping Image Image
1 14mm G4.6 would more than strong enough in single shear to lift up even a 101 FC Land Rover. The world's biggest deer shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

christine wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:53 pm Gamekeeper wanted a winch frame made for the back of his Lawn Rover today , to winch in the dead deer , as ( strong as wee wee,) boy gamekeeper is in hospital . I was wondering why the 14mm bolts supplied with the winch, were only 4.8 tensile ? They're in shear too, 4 of them . I thought the cable hook was always made the ductile /malleable part that gave way slowly ,rather than snapping under strain ?
We need a photo
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

These dead deer does he butcher them up for sale or chuck them to the hunt?
christine

Post by christine »

For sale , game meat . Hunt takes fallen stock