How not to get a MGB back on the road

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
fried onions

Re: How not to get a MGB back on the road

Post by fried onions »

Autosparks can accommodate your requirements. As long as you call them about what you need. They have been making wiring looms for a long time.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

This is how long it's been off the road:

I've no idea why the Halford's decided that their primer should be orange, what muppet thought that that was a good idea?

I thought that a new hood might be a good idea so I've bought a second hand one which my missus is going to fit, she's shit hot on that sort of thing and did all of the upholstery on the camper.

It's even going to get a new hoodframe as the old one is being held together by rusty bolts and is pretty bent. A 'seconds' (cosmetically) one was bought off ebay. Well I hope that it's cosmetic only as I've got nothing to try and fit it to at the moment.

As you can see from the pics I believe that a tidy working environment is essential.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

chadders wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:16 am As you can see from the pics I believe that a tidy working environment is essential.
I wish my working environment was that tidy. It's a constant battle to see the floor in mine.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

I had to keep the floor clear so that I could walk on it whilst attempting to rattle can the wings and doors:)
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

Well it's pissing it down and blowing a gale so it seemed an appropriate time to post another picture.
I should have a lot more interesting* ones but still can't find them.

This reminds me of one of the most stupid things I did during this whole mess.

After inadvertently getting a Polo Harlequin look - it turns out that aerosols with the same batch number can be different shades - I thought fuck it as I was sick of getting 2 out 3 adjoining panels to 'match' and the 3rd being completely different. I'd also used up my considerable stock of rattle cans.

So it was time to fit the aluminum side trim, an easy job that meant that I could convince myself that things were moving forwards. If you know what you're doing it's easy, put it underneath the clips and bash it with the palm of your hand. If you don't you spend a lot of time over a few days trying to slide it on, touching up the scratches where it caught the paintwork and trying to convince your family that the only form of self harm you're into is trying to get this fucker back onto the road and all the cuts on your hands are a result of your own idiocy.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I also spend more time dressing cuts and puncture wounds than I seem to on the actual vehicle. I'm sure this will all fade from memory once you are hooning down the coast road on a hot summer day!

Actually, I passed a "B" this colour on Saturday afternoon in the New Forest - absolutely mint-looking and sat in a layby. As I drove on towards Beaulieu I began to wonder if he had broken down as it was not in a particularly pretty spot. I turned the Cowley round and headed back just to see the low-loader pull up in front of it....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

When I used mine as a daily many years ago it was very reliable but this changed significantly when it was hardly used, a side effect of having 2 young sons and having to cart them to far flung railway stations (this was at the peak of Thomas the Tank Engine mania).
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

Well, I'm fucked and might have to do a runner.

After the financial disaster that was the VW T2 restoration that exceeded my estimate by 400% I've just got the MGB invoice, for the sills and work done to date, and it's not even the final one.

Nearly £6k, of which the best part of 5 is for the sills.

It's more than we have paid for a car in the last 8 years and it doesn't make any sense doing it but I've had it for 44 years now and it has a lot of memories attached to it. Neither of my sons have shown any interest in it, unlike the camper, so long term it'll probably be sold but at least I'll be able to drive it again in the meantime.

Doing an Eric Idle and looking on the bright side of life doing the paint myself seems to have saved the best part of a grand and all the suspension and brakes have been rebuilt now.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

What's spent is spent, I hope you get some pleasure out of it!
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

Thanks - I think being from Yorkshire spending money causes me physical pain.