What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
NergleFuttocks
Globalist Imperialist Pig Dog!

Re: What did you do today?

Post by NergleFuttocks »

SiC wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:28 pm Just chuck it on a Ctek when you're not using it.

It's old electronics that has modules that don't shut off on the key and aren't particularly power efficient due to the technology. Does it have an alarm? That's a likely candidate.

Also make sure the boot and glove box lights are off when shut.
I binned the alarm years ago, and also the fag lighter for the rear passengers as that was found to be a drain. I can’t easily hook it up to anything when it’s parked up as it is a long walk from the nearest power source. But if that changes, that’s what will happen.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Would an in car solar panel help?

OK they don't produce much but it might be enough to offset the drain. I know that camper owners use them when they're parked up.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

PhilA wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:39 pm Had a poke at the voltage regulator and dynamo on the Sprite because it's ceased charging.

Shorting field to battery causes it to charge when it's revved so am I missing something? Does the dynamo need a small amount of residual magnetism to give the ~6.3 volts the manual states it needs to excite the field?

Edit: yes, it does. I think I just need to re-polarize the field core. I'll do that tomorrow and see if that wakes it up or not.
I was surprised to see that procedure in the pdf for that 60KVA PTO driven generator I wired in a while back in the case of it not working, physics doesn't change I suppose...
NergleFuttocks

Post by NergleFuttocks »

LynehamHerc wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:36 am Would an in car solar panel help?

OK they don't produce much but it might be enough to offset the drain. I know that camper owners use them when they're parked up.
In an ironic environmental way, that sounds like a great idea!
NergleFuttocks

Post by NergleFuttocks »

So, I may, just might have sneaked back to the Hall in the middle of the night to bring this home and wash the tree sap off it. Then after doing that this morning I decided that there would be no rozzers anywhere near my country lane blat so brought it back this morning. The love is still there - long straight, bury the throttle and hope the brakes are up to it (they are).

Now I am upping my ciggie intake just as excuse to come down and look at it.

The love is still there!!!
00B1BCE4-A3B4-42D5-814D-5B374DC8B880.jpeg
00B1BCE4-A3B4-42D5-814D-5B374DC8B880.jpeg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 263 times
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

That's brilliant news Nergle.

You must have had some doubt about it after so long, I did after my MG was off the road for a long time.

A slight* difference in desirability and performance though.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

The Jag is lovely!

In my news, I actually did something... As all the parts arrived late yesterday and it was another scorching day, I took the dogs out early (so fucking Chester wouldn't have too many barbeques to chase after, the twat) in the Jag, I do like it, it looks great all shiny, I keep dusting it to keep it shiny as we are not allowed to wash them. Got home, had a coffee and set to...

There are literally 4 inches between the front of the engine and the radiator/fan housing/fan and so access, is just the tiniest bit, fucking tight! Fine if you took the radiator out but, fuck that for a game, and there are pipes and hoses everywhere. In reality, it's a dead simple job just the lack of space and the fact you need eyes on the ends of your fingers to find where things go.

I wasn't convinced I'd got the tensioner in correctly (I had) and getting the belt on was a laugh a minute, the fucker could go completely round the car it's so long and I had difficulty finding a diagram that was the same as my car (found an R 350 that matched in the end) so got the run wrong the first time, I only twigged as the grooves in the pulley were running on the smooth back of the belt in one place, soon sorted. I'd guess 30 minutes to do the job, 15 to shout and swear as I ripped my arms again, 15 to find the correct diagram and 10 minutes telling Bella to get her fucking nose out of the bit I need to see!

I let it run up to temp outside while I cleared all my tools away and it was holding steady (so I hope my fear of head gasket failure after running it with no water circulation is baseless) then swapped the cars around and loaded the Merc with Mutts and went to the jet wash, did the business (now clean and shiny :) ) and took them to the park, all the time with the temperature gauge displayed, it never went above 90, so I 'think' it's okay.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

NergleFuttocks wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:30 pm So, I may, just might have sneaked back to the Hall in the middle of the night to bring this home and wash the tree sap off it. Then after doing that this morning I decided that there would be no rozzers anywhere near my country lane blat so brought it back this morning. The love is still there - long straight, bury the throttle and hope the brakes are up to it (they are).

Now I am upping my ciggie intake just as excuse to come down and look at it.

The love is still there!!!

00B1BCE4-A3B4-42D5-814D-5B374DC8B880.jpeg
That is a beauty
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

It was our wedding anniversary yesterday. So I snow jizzed the Boxster.

Then both went out to see a big house (Kingston Lacey near Poole)

Then some big boats by the front

And some little boats too

This lovely Mini Moke was parked by the front

I wanted to take the Spitfire but it was still looking like this yesterday morning.

Boxster did 32mpg. I don't think that's too bad for a 90s flat-6 engine with its roof down (less aerodynamically efficient) and air conditioning on.

This is on near me later today. If I can get all the house/garden chores done, I hope to pop down for a bit and have a gander. I've finished wiring up the Spitfire and put it all back together, so may give that a whizz down there.
https://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/laz ... ay-monday/
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I might have to see if I can get down there this afternoon but I had to come into work this morning so doubt i will get finished in time
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2007 Honda Jazz 1.4 (for sale)
2010 Skoda Felica tdi (for sale)
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter