1979 Trouble Spitfire

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
red5

Re: 1979 Trouble Spitfire

Post by red5 »

I had a 80 1500.

Loved it, genuine motoring with a smile.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Nice little sports car, that
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

PhilA wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:15 pm Nice little sports looking car, that
FTFY.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

That is a great colour. The final restyle really smartened up the rear end of these - I think they are the best looking.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Agree on the colour, really suits the shape. The Spitfire styling did mature well - the early ones always had a slightly kit-car appearance.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
christine

Post by christine »

Was expecting an update... has he been picking at it and got nothing left except a chassis ?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

What chassis? he tapped that first.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

So as mentioned at the start of this thread, I had an insurance timing issue. Basically I phoned Hagerty on Saturday at 1255 but their lines shut already (should have been 1pm). Hence having ND needing to deliver it for me.

I've been pretty busy at the weekend so I didn't get a chance to do too much. I'd love to have gone for a cheeky drive on Sunday evening but no insurance. Monday was not only a write off with the weather but also I had to emergency fix a leaking drain behind the washing machine. I hate plumbing and I hate even more fixing previous plumbing mistakes. Dehumidifier is still whiring away in the utility.

Anyway today I spent 3 hours on hold to Hagerty and eventually got through to get insurance. Didn't really want to broadcast it was sitting on my drive uninsured until sorted for obv reasons.

So the car.

You want to see the rusty bits that I MUST NOT POKE as everyone likes to see gory stuff. Here they are.

This is the worst bit as it's an actual hole. Very much a common Spitfire area of rust.

The rest are minor really.

This is less minor and it did let out a crunch when I pushed it. Definitely a spot that is fine unless I go pressing too hard! That said my press did make the metal flex. So it must be pretty solid. This is another TADIS.

This hole in the sill is probably the one area I may weld up soon. The other side is perfectly fine. Just ugly for the passengers getting in and will no doubt comment on it.

It's been sat outside in this rubbish weather as I couldn't stash it away in storage without insurance. Good news is how nicely the rain is beading off.

So what am I going to fiddle with first?
Probably the electrics. As ND mentioned on his thread, someone has been at this before and not done the best of jobs. He fixed the electric fan wiring but I think I'll wire in an 'otter' switch (named because it's getting 'otter) so I can override the thermostat switch. I do have a 1500 mechanical fan in my stash of bits but that hits the fancy aluminium radiator.

There is this switch already. No idea what it does but there are wires to it. Maybe originally was an 'otter switch? Button isn't wired to anything.

The rest of the electrics have random wires strewn about. No idea if they're connected or not but I'd rather not find out. Plan is to remove anything not connected and not stock.

There are also extra lights on the dash that I have no idea what they are for. I originally thought they were stock (as Lucas parts) but the owners manual doesn't list any use for them. Again if not connected or used, they'll be removed. Longer/mid term I may replace or freshen up the wood as the lacquer is a bit sad looking like many of these go.

Anyway it's a pretty pleasant place to be sat. I think I might replace the base seat foam. It's functional but I'd prefer if it was a bit more squishy. I may even go the whole hog and get new foam + houndstooth seat covers for both seats. Not cheap though so it'll have to wait.

Chucking it down again at the moment so a drive will have to wait. No fun driving a RWD classic sports car in the wet. Plus I need to get my fat belly to the gym tonight and stop slacking.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Pretty sure it should have a mechanical fan. I know when I tried an electric fan on my 1500 Midget it hated hot weather. It needed the constant draft off the fan to stop the carbs boiling at low speed.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Yeah they had a mechanical. I believe possibly viscous on this age.

It has a Kenlowe on already so going to get it working. I wouldn't have fitted one given the choice but it's there. I definitely want an override switch though. If I could get the mechanical fan on, I'll have both. Might need the radiator removing to fit it.

That said I think it could do with another flush as it looks to have had K-seal previously. I know ND has flushed it a few times already. So probably needs a few more goes.
Attachments
PXL_20230507_190027462.jpg
PXL_20230507_190027462.jpg (406.06 KiB) Viewed 507 times