What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Guest »

20230325_154545.jpg
20230325_154545.jpg (490.77 KiB) Viewed 296 times
I bought this speedo as the one in the car isn't working at the moment. Although I think it's just the cable, which I have got but not fitted yet. I thought a spare would be handy to fill the hole in the dash if the original has to be rebuilt.

It was very rough as it came out of a totally derelict TA14 and seized up. I have taken it to bits, given the dead wasps from inside a funeral, freed it up and lubricated it. It now spins up nicely on the drill so will be usable if necessary, I can't remember the current mileage on the car so have zeroed it for now.
20230325_155811.jpg
20230325_155811.jpg (393.54 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Interestingly there was a rheostat screwed to it, presumably for the dash lamps. Mine doesn't have one so may see if it works and fit it.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Rebuilt the captur engine today, 6 new exhaust valves and a new timing chain kit. It is now pretty much ready to go back in which I will do on Monday. I seem to remember someone posted a pic of a bright green Bentley on here not long ago. I think it had been spotted in Bristol or somewhere like that. Can any of you Eddie types remember which thread it was in as I seem to remember it belonged to someone from top gear or something like that. A friend of my other half's saw it the other day and wondered who owned it. She works in a magistrates court and it was in the car park.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2007 Honda Jazz 1.4 (for sale)
2010 Skoda Felica tdi (for sale)
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Today Mathew, I checked the work I did the t'other day. Oil leak now well and truly fixed. Bone dry, tight and secure. Water leak is still missing in action (which is good) and the level is still fine and everything is bone dry.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

panhard65 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:45 pm Rebuilt the captur engine today, 6 new exhaust valves and a new timing chain kit. It is now pretty much ready to go back in which I will do on Monday. I seem to remember someone posted a pic of a bright green Bentley on here not long ago. I think it had been spotted in Bristol or somewhere like that. Can any of you Eddie types remember which thread it was in as I seem to remember it belonged to someone from top gear or something like that. A friend of my other half's saw it the other day and wondered who owned it. She works in a magistrates court and it was in the car park.
Did the rods look ok, had it really hydrolocked or was it pushed?
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

If it did lock it caused the chain to jump. I suspect it wasn't running when the flood happened. There was a lot of wear in the pulleys and the chain guides were worn through. The rods looked ok so I left well alone. All the pistons came up to the same level with a dti gauge. The only pulley not changed is the variable cam pulley as that is another 150 odd quid. There is wear on it but the new chain fits well on the teeth. The water in the intercooler and the turbo was very clean with no dirt at all which makes me think it didn't go through a flood. There was also one of those little salt satchets that you get from take aways on the floor inside. It was fine so no water had got in there by the look of it. I will get the engine back in this week and fingers crossed it starts and runs ok.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2013 Peugeot RCZ
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I was hoping to get my P4 to this local meet today but not finished with the brakes yet. Met this chap with his 110 and got chatting. His son is actually local in the village and owned the immaculate Red Scoobie.

His P4 was rocking a Lockheed conversion too.

I think the local Morgan 3 wheeler club must have all turned up.

Push bike computer as the Speedo is a nice touch.

One of the new 3 wheelers

Not sure if this was a genuine Alpina

Yute!

A few other moderns but they didn't interest me enough to take a photo. So have some more oldies instead.

Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

Rode up to Benidorm today as there was a bike and car show over the weekend at a park. So big it has been mentioned frequently on the local radio station. Needn't have bothered.

€10 to get into the "show" which from the outside looked like nothing more than rows of parked bikes, with a few stalls flogging t-shirts and leather "goods". The 250 American cars advertised to be there, from what I could see through the fence, was about 25 Mustangs.

Wasn't going to pay to see fuck all more that a bike park, so sat at a cafe just outside the exit. I could hear the live bands perfectly well sat there too.

I then watched countless, identical Harleys, ridden by identical, back patched 50+ year old riders roll by on their way home.

Should have gone to the local car and bike meet instead, as more variety of two and four wheels.

Feel cheated now, although the ride back south along the coastal road made me feel it was less of a wasted ride. Crossed that one off of my calendar
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

On Friday my Mrs came back in the Note and said it was shaking badly above 30MPH. Hasn't been above that since the new Chinese wheels of death were fitted.
Yesterday I offered to take my mate across to Glossop to SAAB Tech, who've been fixing his 60 plate 9-3 Aero as it shit one of the modules big style the week before. Set off in the Note, got to the bypass, thought "fuck me, my Mrs wasn't joking" so turned around and took the Ibiza.
Twenty five miles, not far, well, wouldn't have been if there hadn't have been a big shit cart that had closed Woodhead. There's lovely scenery over the 'top' to Ladybower, then the delights of the road works on Snake as parts of it have subsided. Best part of three hours there and back, FFS, need a decent road across the hill.
Anyway, after getting back I took all the wheels off, checked for "eggs" and that they spun OK. Only thing, other than a single wheel bolt being 18mm rather than 19mm was the OSF brake disc didn't have its' retaining screw. Back together, road test, fuck all wrong. I can only assume that whilst changing the tyres some shit dropped behind that disc causing it to be slightly off centre, hence the 'wobble'. She's been out in it today and all is well, apart from the horn not working again.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I must be the week for insurance swindles this week. After the fun that has been the "flood" damaged Renault Captur that is now ready to sling the lump back in I get this Berlingo. Bought by one of my trade customers as stolen recovered with no keys. He chucked a couple of hundred at it for a lock set and ecu only to find it wouldn't turn over. He assumed it was seized as there was no oil or coolant in it. Today the job is to fit the secondhand engine he got for it. The van has had a load of work including a new starter and it even looks like a new sump. However it hadn't exactly seized. On it's way out the conrod broke the new starter and also took out the wire from the alternator to the starter. There was more water than oil in the sump which was also in the oil filter so it must of been running at some point. Either the "Thief" ran it out of oil and water until it exploded or it is another example of pulling the wool over the insurance companies eyes.
IMG_1117.JPG
IMG_1117.JPG (855.65 KiB) Viewed 145 times
IMG_1116.JPG
IMG_1116.JPG (337.67 KiB) Viewed 145 times
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2013 Peugeot RCZ
Asimo

Post by Asimo »

I don’t think insurers make much of an effort to establish the truth.
I broke my Avantime’s engine in the great summer flood of ‘07.*
I made a ‘phone claim, hoping for enough to buy a second hand engine.
Their response was, “oh don’t bother with that, we’ll give you whatever you paid for it, less £300 “admin” “.
I had the money in days, no form to fill in, nothing. Just had to liase with the salvage firm for collection.

**My fault, over-tired, at the umpteenth flooded bit of road I didn’t bother to walk through first (as I had done every other time) to check depth…
No water in the car, just a locked engine. A hero in a Polo van towed me to a place of safety. A few days later I met RAC, hoping to get the car recovered home but he whipped the plugs out, pulled off the turbocharger inlet hose and got the engine running. Sounded like the hammers of hell! Bent rods. Someone fixed it,shows up on DVLA still.