restoring patina and revealing original paint.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
8BAK465

restoring patina and revealing original paint.

Post by 8BAK465 »

Not done much on my Cortina because of what going on in my life right now but just discovered there are large scabs of paint falling off the car revealing the original paint underneath :o

Upon close investigation the roof is original paint but the rest was brush painted to a decent standard but back in the 70s I think?

It looks very much like they never prepared the car very well though as where the paint has come off what underneath has a deep shine.

Just wondering if there is any way I can remove this thick top layer without removing what's underneath it?

Once its been welded I have to paint the front end but it would be nice if I could rescue the old paint with any scars its hiding and let the car tell its story :roll:

Jo

[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
panhard65

Re: restoring patina and revealing original paint.

Post by panhard65 »

A proper hot high pressure steam cleaner. I removed the poor respray from a Datsun 100a back in the 80's using one.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

I dont have access to one right now,I wonder if a decent pressure washer might loosen it?
Ive heard alsorts,oven cleaner,thinners etc,i could sand gently but this top layer is quite thick,I am pretty sure its coach enamel but the surface was never prepared and that's why its coming off now.
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

8BAK465 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:27 pm I dont have access to one right now,I wonder if a decent pressure washer might loosen it?
Ive heard alsorts,oven cleaner,thinners etc,i could sand gently but this top layer is quite thick,I am pretty sure its coach enamel but the surface was never prepared and that's why its coming off now.
Panhards suggestion sounds a good one. Have you got a lorry or bus yard round by you anywhere? It sounds like a beer tokens on a Saturday morning job? Or how about a pro driveway cleaning firm? Any paint that removes is less for you to do the hard way.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:35 pm
8BAK465 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:27 pm I dont have access to one right now,I wonder if a decent pressure washer might loosen it?
Panhards suggestion sounds a good one. Have you got a lorry or bus yard round by you anywhere? It sounds like a beer tokens on a Saturday morning job? Or how about a pro driveway cleaning firm? Any paint that removes is less for you to do the hard way.
Car is off the road right now so not easy to get anywhere ill look into somebody who could come out to me failing that I might just rock the paint as it is until its driving and drive it somewhere ;)

I did search after Panhards suggestion wondering how much it would be to own one then realised they were priced at HFM :shock: !

I am really curious at what the actual original paint is really like now :roll:
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

I love the voyage of discovery like that. Just prepare yourself, as someone painted it fo a reason.

On my second VW beetle back in the mid 80s, it was because (and your never going to believe this) it had an engine fire some time in its past.
Go figure! Who would have thought a VW beetle would do that! :lol: