What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: What did you do today?

Post by SiC »

BusmansHoliday wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:01 pm Spent half an hour sat on the M5 just before the roadworks at Worcester. Turns out the four lanes were down to one (not two as it said on the sign following the arrival of two unmarked dark blue 70 plate 5 series estates) due to a "stranded vehicle". Even my Mrs laughed when she realised the cause was one of Elon Musk's finest products.
Whilst in the queue it gave me chance to think, WTF was that thing that overtook me on the M57 on Tuesday night that I caught up with at the start of Woodhead before it decimated the dawdlers with fucking unbelievable acceleration. Weird rear lights. Today I saw one in the slow traffic around Brum. No name on it just a weird badge.

Eventually realised it's one of these,
Screenshot_20221222-164746.png
Basically an electrified Volvo. Like Volvo, part of the Geely group.

Chinese are coming and going to take over our automotive market.
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

SiC wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:33 pm
BusmansHoliday wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:01 pm Spent half an hour sat on the M5 just before the roadworks at Worcester. Turns out the four lanes were down to one (not two as it said on the sign following the arrival of two unmarked dark blue 70 plate 5 series estates) due to a "stranded vehicle". Even my Mrs laughed when she realised the cause was one of Elon Musk's finest products.
Whilst in the queue it gave me chance to think, WTF was that thing that overtook me on the M57 on Tuesday night that I caught up with at the start of Woodhead before it decimated the dawdlers with fucking unbelievable acceleration. Weird rear lights. Today I saw one in the slow traffic around Brum. No name on it just a weird badge.

Eventually realised it's one of these,
Screenshot_20221222-164746.png
Basically an electrified Volvo. Like Volvo, part of the Geely group.

Chinese are coming and going to take over our automotive market.
TBH, when it overtook me I thought ovloV.
Absolutely agree with you on the car market, a vast majority of battery buses use Chinese bits. BYD, Build Your Dreams, are involved in a lot of UK buses, only Northern Island based Wright, now effectively part of JCB, are bucking the trend.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

BusmansHoliday wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:01 pm Woodhead
Wtf is going on there at the moment?

I went over it last night for NPH. Hour and a fucking quarter from the last roundabout to Glossop. Stationary queues for the roadworks from the pub to the bridge with cones on ane no work happening. Then once past that it was stationary again all way as far as I could see even after the Glossop turning.
Private signature, do not read
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

Hooli wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:59 pm
BusmansHoliday wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:01 pm Woodhead
Wtf is going on there at the moment?

I went over it last night for NPH. Hour and a fucking quarter from the last roundabout to Glossop. Stationary queues for the roadworks from the pub to the bridge with cones on ane no work happening. Then once past that it was stationary again all way as far as I could see even after the Glossop turning.
"Major Roadworks" apparently, but fuck all work on Tuesday night or even the week before. Almost like they are on strike.

Didn't realise until today the M42 is closed from tomorrow night until the New Year between J10 & 9.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Glad I've got no reason to head that way then.
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

M1 northbound fucked, A1 fucked, don't go anywhere around Chesterfield, Worksop tonight
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Just come back from the in-laws for Xmas and taking the TT. Last time it achieved 35.7mpg on super unleaded. Same trip at similar speeds achieved nearly 2mpg less on regular unleaded. Also a lot less lively on regular too. Keep meaning to check peak boost pressures to see if the ECU is holding that back too, not just timing. The mpg drop is even more pronounced on local driving. Presumably because more acceleration is going on and that's more likely to need holding back timing/power than cruising at a steady speed. That difference is almost enough to justify the cost extra for super.

Before I went, I spent a bit of time de-rattling.
First was the fusebox area. The washer on the clip is missing and causing it to rattle.
I didn't have a washer to go on the clip, so I used some old plastic packaging to pack out behind. Seemed to have done the trick.

Next up was a passenger side rattle. Best guess was this loose metal spacer on the centre console grab handles. The other is press fitted in and tight, so I glued this one in. I think this has fixed it but this was a more intermittent and I'll need to give it time to see if it's solved the rattle.

Hoovered half a sandpit worth of sand from under the back seats. Was a selection of colouring in pens, so presumably this has transported children. Explains the broken parcel shelf if stuff has been dumped on it. 
I forgot to take the photo but it seems the driver's footwell is wet again. Really quite disappointed this has happened again as I thought I'd sorted it. My suspicions are now on the windscreen as this can happen when replaced. It's definitely been replaced at least once (no Audi logo on it) and I have read sometimes they're not always refitted the best. Might try some Captain Tolly's on it as definitely not paying out for it to be removed and resealed. As problems with an old TT go, this is minor. But an annoying one nonetheless.
The drive to and from the in-laws went okay. I do need to sort out the dipped reflectors as they must not be reflecting at all. There is a fair bit of light but it's pretty dim and could do with it brighter. On back roads in the wet, it can be tricky to track the centre line. Probably get another set of headlights to pull apart to fix and then fit them on instead. Would like new lights but I can only find them on Autodoc and as £450 each, it's a bit too much of an expensive option. So just going to keep a lookout for a pair of good used halogen lights.
I really want the cruise control lead to arrive. Ordered it from Germany and no doubt hung up in the postal strikes. Was hoping to have fitted it over the Xmas driving period but looking like it might be a while yet before I can. 
Finally I opened the window with the passenger side switches to say bye to the in-laws. While it opened fine, the switch refused to close back up. Great! 🤦 Thankfully the drivers side control worked and saved us from a very cold and wet drive back. Gives me something else that I need to fix now. Bloody flimsy thing.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

20221226_173645.jpg
20221226_173645.jpg (429.41 KiB) Viewed 347 times
Barbeque. Weather warmed up just enough that it's really nice to cook outside.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

SiC wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:55 pm Just come back from the in-laws for Xmas and taking the TT. Last time it achieved 35.7mpg on super unleaded. Same trip at similar speeds achieved nearly 2mpg less on regular unleaded. Also a lot less lively on regular too. Keep meaning to check peak boost pressures to see if the ECU is holding that back too, not just timing. The mpg drop is even more pronounced on local driving. Presumably because more acceleration is going on and that's more likely to need holding back timing/power than cruising at a steady speed. That difference is almost enough to justify the cost extra for super.
The most likely reason for the drop in consumption is the percentage of useless ethanol. 5% for super (max) and 10% for the E10 rubbish. As it serves no real purpose other than to "water" down the fuel you will obviously need 5% more of it to get the same energy out of each gallon. Yet another example of twat politicians listening to the daft eco lobby rather than proper engineers and scientists.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2007 Honda Jazz 1.4 (for sale)
2010 Skoda Felica tdi (for sale)
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I tip E5 (or less, I think Esso red-label stuff is usually ethanol-free) in everything despite much of my stuff having so-called "tolerant" fuel lines over the last couple of years. I've not added it up or anything but the cars seem to run better and I'm getting 35mpg on runs in the Chrysler - very acceptable.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......