Fleet Occurrences

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: Fleet Occurrences

Post by paulplom »

The ex cid one I had had been remapped with a bigger turbo, inrercooler etc on it. Probably the fastest car I've ever driven. Well over 300bhp. I had a mate in once, we were doing 60mph in 4th gear when I set it away. It span up the front wheels and I nearly binned it. We fucking shit ourselves.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

The ecu on the 850 T-5s were just plug and play. You could get the remapped ones on ebay at the time for £80. They were in a housing with security screws but you just cut a slot in them with a junior and took them out with a flat screwdriver.
When they changed to v70/s70 around 1997 they went to fly by wire throttle and you had to get them done properly.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

The drivers footwell on the brown 93 is sopping wet again.

I kicked the Cavalier out from its winter hibernation in the garage (it's actually nice to see it out in the open and in front of my living room window for a bit!) and got the Saab in my garage.

The wipers were a cunt to get off and they pushed my wiper puller tool to the absolute max, still 1-0 to me in the end though. I sealed up the 2 grommets that pass through the bulkhead above the pedals, the entire lower windscreen seal and for good measure I did the top of the pollen filter housing too.
20221126_155935.jpg
20221126_155935.jpg (335.74 KiB) Viewed 479 times
20221126_155945.jpg
20221126_155945.jpg (452.72 KiB) Viewed 479 times
I checked that the drain channel in the door seal was working and also opened the top a touch to see if there was any evidence of water ingress, none present.

The only other thing it could be is the air-conditioning unit. My wife presses the button to demist the windscreen which I think activates the de-hum function on it and I wonder if the drain pipe has somehow become detached and is depositing inside the car.

It's also got a lumpy idle so I need to find the time to clean the throttle body.

This is a great car but in terms of transport for my wife and son, I'm wondering it its just getting on a bit now and needs replaced with something a bit newer. She's unlikely to give it up though as she loves it. Will see how it goes at the MOT in February.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The 9-3 was one of the safest cars in its class of the time. While things have improved since, it's not an extra ordinary amount better. Certainly not like the improvements from mid 90s cars Vs mid 00s era car.

Cars will go on for as long as people are prepared to spend money on them. While things can get to end of life and start costing a lot of money in bits, often that's far off than many people expect. Admittedly my experience of this era Saab's is they start to mount up niggles like dodgy door locks, failing sound modules and such.

With the damp, watch out it affecting the audio amplifier under the passenger seat. They're notorious for corroding inside after condensation build up from wet carpets. Worse case if it's the optical system you can bypass by joining the two ends of fibre optic cable with a bit of fish tank tube or similar. That'll loose the front door speakers but you still get the rest. Including the centre speaker for the inevitable BING BONG from the central SID.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

I don't think its about to become a money pit or anything and if it was my driver I wouldn't be bothered at all. I guess I just get nervous after the Bini episode, especially after it cut out on my wife in the middle of a busy roundabout!

The wet carpets are annoying because I can't work out where it's coming from and that something I hate as it can cause no end of problems as you say.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Split_Pin wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:04 amI guess I just get nervous after the Bini episode, especially after it cut out on my wife in the middle of a busy roundabout!
We generally run to one or two FTP strikes and it's out with Mrs SiCs daily. Excluding self inflicted of course like punctures and such.
Split_Pin wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:04 am The wet carpets are annoying because I can't work out where it's coming from and that something I hate as it can cause no end of problems as you say.
Damp cars aren't nice to drive either. End up feeling all clammy and humid. It's why I bought the dehumidifier to try drying out the TT. While it's not removed all the water and I'll need to use mechanical means to get more out, it has made it feel much nicer inside without the humidity or steaming up it was getting.

Have you tried gummi pflege on the seals?
Sri05

Post by Sri05 »

I feel your pain with the leaking woes. My 9-3 was leaking at the top of the door were the A pillar meets the roof, I cleared the pillar drains, gummi pfleged the rubbers and covered the soft top in fabsil, that cured it.

Now it has a leak in the spare wheel well, yet the boot is absolutely bone dry :lol: I vaccumed it all out, will see how long it takes to fill again.

Scottish winters aren't suited for these things
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

I tried Gummi Pfledge but for all I know I was just putting water on the seals as it didn't appear to do anything.

Mine leak at the corners of the windows but a rag on the carpet each side solved that!

The red one has a small leak in the boot but it runs out a hole for the now absent towbar wiring so that's fixed!
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I used to put Gummi on the seals of my missus Pluriel every year. It seemed to make a difference but the overall design was appalling so I was always fighting a losing battle.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I remember reading at the time that those pluriels leaked from the factory.