What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
PhilA

Re: What did you do today?

Post by PhilA »

Was up all night with maintenance for work; this morning is cool and breezy, 7°c so I went to McDonald's ro get coffee and pancakes because lazy.

Lady at the drive through window said "You're making me feel freezing cold, driving that old car!", to which I responded that I had the fires of hell and damnation under the seat and had to turn the heat down a touch.

I think the heater fan has a burned coil on the commutator because sometimes it'll run, other times it needs to windmill a bit before it'll run.

The thermostat works though. I had it dialed to LOW and on the way back home the air coming out was merely tepid. Dialed it up to HIGH to test and sure enough, fiercely hot air from under the seat.

Not often I get to use the heater!
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Hurrah for heating.
Private signature, do not read
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Ten years ago today I was down past Nutsford buying a silver roof for my silver mgf.
Where the fuck is the time going?
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Post by angrydicky »

Got talking to one of the painters at my new workplace who said he does private bodywork, painting, welding etc on the side for cash. I mentioned the knackered paint on the roof of my Rover 600, which desperately needs attending to. He proudly showed me pictures of cars he’d painted on his phone, various ones both modern and classic, and he swung by on his way home to have a look at mine.
Yes he can do it, £150 cash which seems like a total bargain so I’ve given the go ahead and it should be done next week once the car he’s currently doing is out of his workshop.
Another colleague has a daughter with a modern Vauxhall that had been in a front end crash, Wayne resprayed the entire front end for £250. Looked brilliant (he showed me the pictures) and he was very pleased with the job, so it should be in safe hands.
There are various scratches and dings around the car, it is a 25 year old Rover after all, but the roof is what draws the eye, as it’s down to the undercoat and just looks really shit. I will probably bring the car back to him for more work to be done, but it is a classic case of where do you stop? The rest of it looks great at 20ft so it’s not as urgent.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Had the jolly old Jaguar repaired today. I got there at the allotted time, it vanished into the bowels of the workshop, and I was sent off on a nature ramble with the two I am not allowed to mention, with instructions to return in about an hour.

Yeah right! I thought.

Anyhoo, myself and them had a great time, one of them went in the stream multiple times and failed to get out once or twice, requiring assistance while the other plodded around happily and at a similar pace to myself, the other sod ran about 50 times as far and tired me out just watching her.

Got back about an hour later just as the car was being parked outside. All fixed and done so neatly that I can't tell anything has been touched other than I have working controls and an airbag with no warning lights.
All done for £84 (including VAT).

Asked them to quote for the brakes and the roof lining.... £1004 for the brakes all Jaguar genuine parts (fuck right off!) and nearly £600 for the headlining.

Why am I such a fussy twat?
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

That's a result at that price.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Try some normal garages for the brakes. I know yours is newer but front callipers for mine were £72 a side from Berkshire Jag Components rather than about £600 and unavailable at Jag prices.
Private signature, do not read
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

angrydicky wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:05 pm Got talking to one of the painters at my new workplace who said he does private bodywork, painting, welding etc on the side for cash. I mentioned the knackered paint on the roof of my Rover 600, which desperately needs attending to. He proudly showed me pictures of cars he’d painted on his phone, various ones both modern and classic, and he swung by on his way home to have a look at mine.
Yes he can do it, £150 cash which seems like a total bargain so I’ve given the go ahead and it should be done next week once the car he’s currently doing is out of his workshop.
Another colleague has a daughter with a modern Vauxhall that had been in a front end crash, Wayne resprayed the entire front end for £250. Looked brilliant (he showed me the pictures) and he was very pleased with the job, so it should be in safe hands.
There are various scratches and dings around the car, it is a 25 year old Rover after all, but the roof is what draws the eye, as it’s down to the undercoat and just looks really shit. I will probably bring the car back to him for more work to be done, but it is a classic case of where do you stop? The rest of it looks great at 20ft so it’s not as urgent.
You jammy b.
I’m virtually having to bribe the guy to come out and have a look at my 912, even though he says he will do it and it will be around $15k.
Well done to you sir!!!
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Post by angrydicky »

I did mention the Hampshire to him, and he said he can definitely do it, but I’m under no illusions, there’s a lot of prep work to get rid of all that surface rust.
I’ve got a few months to save up to have that done.
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

Broccoli wrote:
angrydicky wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:05 pm Got talking to one of the painters at my new workplace who said he does private bodywork, painting, welding etc on the side for cash. I mentioned the knackered paint on the roof of my Rover 600, which desperately needs attending to. He proudly showed me pictures of cars he’d painted on his phone, various ones both modern and classic, and he swung by on his way home to have a look at mine.
You jammy b.
I’m virtually having to bribe the guy to come out and have a look at my 912, even though he says he will do it and it will be around $15k.
Well done to you sir!!!
Ooohhh 912. Got any photies mister?

Gzongenflatch
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.