The 'modern cars are shit' thread.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Re: The 'modern cars are shit' thread.

Post by bub2006 »

Regarding stop start. My 67 plate octavia TSI was terrible. Really dim witted to start up so I kept it turn off. Also the dog box was set up so it went into neutral with foot on brake but if you applied handbrake it used to strain against it.
The mini however was alot better stop start and auto box. Could engage handbrake at lights and it would stay in neutral as well as stop start being hardly noticeable.
Best all rounder was the ioniq though. The radar cruise was very good but the lane assist was very confused on hack lanes so I kept it switched off.
Some older cars are known for dropping auto into neutral when handbrake is on. Vauxhall have done it since at least 1998 on the 1.8 and above with auto box. My focus however does not but I tend to always leave it in drive unless stationary for a long time then I knock it into neutral and handbrake applied. Keeps handbrake in use that way too but saying that ky wife uses handbrake nearly all the time when parked whereas I leave it in park only unless towing caravan or on a steep hill.
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

Today's piece of shit turned out to be a DS3 as they'd delivered the wrong car last night.

What a stupid pos, no way of controlling the heater without pressing a touch sensitive button on the dashboard that needed 3 or 4 prods then you have to try and hit a part of the screen whilst driving down bumpy lanes.
20221020_143637.jpg
20221020_143637.jpg (597.72 KiB) Viewed 647 times
The the 'piece de resistance' is a big lump of plastic as a styling feature that stops you being able to do a shoulder check whilst changing lanes
20221020_143656.jpg
20221020_143656.jpg (327.85 KiB) Viewed 647 times
It's a 1.0 3 cylinder (I think, never checked but I'm sure its a triple )with an 8 speed gearbox that never knows which gear to be on and cannot creep smoothly in traffic.

What a load of toss it is.
Last edited by Jazoli on Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CBA
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

fried onions wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:10 pm I have no time for techy shit made by geeks running logic circuits. Life's too short and our private motoring is under enough pressure as it is. So I only drive real cars designed by men who actually knew what they were doing. If a car from the 1950's is still giving good reliable service in the 21st century, against the odds, it cannot be a bad thing. I enjoy my comfortably sprung seats, generous interior space and instant response from the controls. And generally economical on fuel. The only 'connectivity' I think of is all 4 wheels on the road.
And you'd happily do 500 miles a week in it on all roads in all conditions?
CBA
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I reckon that somewhere there's a sweet spot, post the introduction of ABS, airbags etc. and before all the electronic shit like touchscreens, lane departure warnings etc..
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

My mum's 2022 Corsa idles at about 500 rpm as an emissions control and brings the revs up automatically as the clutch is engaged. My poor parents were stressed out as they struggled with controlling the clutch at first and took them 2 weeks of thinking something was wrong with the car before they got used to it.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Jazoli wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:55 pm Today's piece of shit turned out to be a DS3 as they'd delivered the wrong car last night.

What a stupid pos, no way of controlling the heater without pressing a touch sensitive button on the dashboard that needed 3 or 4 prods then you have to try and hit a part of the screen whilst driving down bumpy lanes.20221020_143637.jpg

The the 'piece de resistance' is a big lump of plastic as a styling feature that stops you being able to do a shoulder check whilst changing lanes
20221020_143656.jpg

It's a 1.0 3 cylinder (I think, never checked but I'm sure its a triple )with an 8 speed gearbox that never knows which gear to be on and cannot creep smoothly in traffic.

Was that designed* by the classroom nutter after someone gave them haribo?
Private signature, do not read
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

LynehamHerc wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:08 pm I reckon that somewhere there's a sweet spot, post the introduction of ABS, airbags etc. and before all the electronic shit like touchscreens, lane departure warnings etc..
1990s I'd say. Cars worked, lasted ok & you could still see out to drive them. Along with not having endless features* designed to make them harder to drive safely & more annoying to use.
Private signature, do not read
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

All I remember was cries of not wanting abs and central locking and electric windows because far too complicated and failure to be useful.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Jazoli wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:59 pm
fried onions wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:10 pm I have no time for techy shit made by geeks running logic circuits. Life's too short and our private motoring is under enough pressure as it is. So I only drive real cars designed by men who actually knew what they were doing. If a car from the 1950's is still giving good reliable service in the 21st century, against the odds, it cannot be a bad thing. I enjoy my comfortably sprung seats, generous interior space and instant response from the controls. And generally economical on fuel. The only 'connectivity' I think of is all 4 wheels on the road.
And you'd happily do 500 miles a week in it on all roads in all conditions?
Double that, on a regular basis. What else were they built for.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

Hooli wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:15 pm
Jazoli wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:55 pm Today's piece of shit turned out to be a DS3 as they'd delivered the wrong car last night.

What a stupid pos, no way of controlling the heater without pressing a touch sensitive button on the dashboard that needed 3 or 4 prods then you have to try and hit a part of the screen whilst driving down bumpy lanes.20221020_143637.jpg

20221020_143656.jpg

Was that designed* by the classroom nutter after someone gave them haribo?
I'd say so, the window switches are another triumph of styling, you can't comfortably just find one, they are scattered all around the gearstick
20221020_143818.jpg
20221020_143818.jpg (576.64 KiB) Viewed 622 times
Just who signs off this fucking shit? The start engine button is down where the ashtray would be in a proper car, I honestly didn't know how to start it when I got in.

Anyway I've dropped it off now and it's such a pleasure to get back into the old Merc.
CBA