Sub Par Cars

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SubPar

Re: Sub Par Cars

Post by SubPar »

Hooli wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:11 pm Honda quality* ask ghosty about reliable honda engines
Yeah, we all know that saga.

The engine and drivetrain in this car are brilliant. The 2.2 diesel makes it go rather well while also sipping fuel. It just seems to be made of monkey metal underneath the car though.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Those Civics were assembled in Swindon with local content including calipers. The rear calipers are notoriously bad for rust and seizing. After 10 years you just replace the caliper with the discs and pads. They are only £100 a pair new.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:25 pm Those Civics were assembled in Swindon with local content including calipers. The rear calipers are notoriously bad for rust and seizing. After 10 years you just replace the caliper with the discs and pads. They are only £100 a pair new.
Aye, I've got a replacement caliper to go on the left. Split_Pin did the right one when he owned it, and it shows.

The left handbrake cable is stretched to fuck, as I discovered yesterday. Not helped by me hammering on the handbrake the past few months while the left caliper unknowingly seized itself.

What a load of complete wank.

I've ordered a handbrake cable and already had a volunteer to help come forwards, so we can see how that goes.

The plan is definitely to get it through its MOT in November, use it over the winter, then shift it. It's a nice enough car but it's not interesting enough to make up for the absolute pain in the cunt every job on it is, and the price of parts for it is stupid because Honda.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

After my ls400 from Edinburgh I said I wouldn't have a Scottish car again. The garage had it on the ramp to have I look at the exhaust leak. I was fucking shocked at the state of it. Everything was completely rusty and rotten. I've never seen anything like it.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

I've had plenty of Scottish cars before.

It's Scottish Japanese cars that are the problem.

Although, if it's from Aberdeen it doesn't matter what country it originated in. Run away.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I would echo that our RX300 Lexus looked like it had been submerged in salt water on a regular basis - previous owner to us was from Aberdeen.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

SubPar wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:51 pm I've had plenty of Scottish cars before.

It's Scottish Japanese cars that are the problem.

Although, if it's from Aberdeen it doesn't matter what country it originated in. Run away.

Not so.

EVERY Scottish car I've had has been rotten. 15 years ago I had a 1993 7 Series that came from Glasgow and the fucking STATE of it underneath.
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

Friends don't let friends buy Scottish cars.
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Is that why you porridge wogs steal all our volvos?
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

I did plenty jobs on this car when I had it and it was absolutely fine. Its a good car and theres no rust on it at all, unless its gone inexplicably rotten over the summer since March when I sold it to you.

Obviously I didn't manage to sort the tailgate issue but that wasn't the cars fault (mainly mine for not noticing it when I bought it). You are much more knowledgeable on the electrics side of things and had it working soon after you bought it.

It's what 13 years old or something now? I've replaced a caliper or 2 on almost every older car I've owned.