What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Arthur Foxhake

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

Taught the boy how to use the clutch on his pitbike.
I've had it a couple of years but he's only just big enough for it now as it's a big wheel version.
He's outgrown and ridden the wheels off the old auto 50 2 stroke he had.
He can pull away perfect now and always clutches in when he stops, I didn't confuse him with changing gear today, I'll do that tomorrow, now he can use the clutch.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Well done, my two took to clutch and gears really quickly, I think they'll saill through a CBT when the time comes
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I probably should have stripped this for parts and just chalked it up as a bad buy. At least panels are cheap and easy to get hold of. Also as they were brazed in and welds without penetration, they were easy to pop off with a flat headed screwdriver rather than needing to cut them off. :shock:
Top tip, don't ever buy sight unseen from Barrow-in-Furness!Image
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

You're a persistent bugger, I'll give you that.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

This came up on my local classic car eBay search. I would be better off spending my time preserving this beauty rather restorating mine. Bet it has a whole load of interesting history with it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125375514534

Oh well. All good fun really.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Snowberry White, same color as my old man's one.

Chrome still got a bit of shine to it. Love the way they try claim the sills are solid by putting SPRITE badges where the MIDGET ones go (Sprites didn't have a badge there).

Looks equally troubled, tbh.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

PhilA wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:05 am Snowberry White, same color as my old man's one.

Chrome still got a bit of shine to it. Love the way they try claim the sills are solid by putting SPRITE badges where the MIDGET ones go (Sprites didn't have a badge there).

Looks equally troubled, tbh.
Oh yeah completely. But a 1 owner car that has done 223k in it! Also looks a whole lot less filler and more originality/honest.

Doesn't really matter though as I have committed myself to fixing mine. Also working on this Midget makes me think my Dolomite is in pretty good condition.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I have to say though that it's actually been generally really enjoyable working on the Midgets bodywork. Simple structure where the panels generally fit without too much hassle.

Makes quite fancy doing a Frogeye next. Also makes me even more keen to Mini MK1 as I suspect they will be similar story with plentiful panel support on a simple structure, that generally just fits.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

SiC wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:18 am I have to say though that it's actually been generally really enjoyable working on the Midgets bodywork. Simple structure where the panels generally fit without too much hassle.

Makes quite fancy doing a Frogeye next. Also makes me even more keen to Mini MK1 as I suspect they will be similar story with plentiful panel support on a simple structure, that generally just fits.
I think you've just been unlucky with your one tbh, brazed joints if done properly should not be able to be popped off with a screwdriver, far from it.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Unfortunately anything they touched wasn't done properly. It's been a case of seeing what has been touched and going over it carefully. The boot floor is one example as it's a repro part and need to be sure that it has been welded in properly. If not, run a few welds to make it so.

Part of the reason why it's tempting to strip it for parts and go for a more honest example. I'm deep enough in now that makes it worth sorting it.

At least the engine is making good pressure and looks to be a previous off the shelf rebuild unit. No chances of DIY restoration on it!