Ford focus mk1

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: Fords finest. Don't come a knocking

Post by DodgeRover »

Arthur Foxhake wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:07 am
DodgeRover wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:24 pm In other caravan news I could happily live in a fully loaded Vickers day in my own big piece of woodland somewhere near a beach with no fucking neighbours.

Obviously I would be on my own as the rest of the family would leave me...
Careful what you wish for, that was my dream until it happened to me last month! :-)

I've settled in nicely now to be honest, it was fucking cold last night but I was fine in here, I don't like it too warm at night anyway and the house was over insulated and too hot upstairs as a result.
Diesel heater and gas heater on full for 5 minutes and it's toasty warm.
New inverter generator to back up the solar and a couple of new batteries and I'm now fully sorted for power. Have to fetch water as no tap here but no big deal.
Bottled gas prices are fucking ridiculous, although offset by not paying any rent or council tax I suppose. As I work on building sites, waste disposal isn't a problem, bag it up, take it work and launch it in a skip.
Overall, I'm quite happy down here now and not interested in going back to the house, or the relationship.
Get an adaptor and fill your propane bottles from the autogas pump when nobody is looking, 1kg is 2 litres.

Is your Hobby a dry van? If not can you get an ibc to collect rainwater for the shower? Or an IBC on a trailer you could fill from a stand pipe?
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

I had seen you write about those adapters before, will I find them on eBay and Amazon?
No, not a dry van, has a shower and shitter.
IBC is a good idea, I'll keep an eye out for one.
Cold this morning, gas needs changing over but it's still dark and I CBA faffing around with it yet so I've got the Genny on and an electric heater helping out the diesel heater.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

eBay was where I've had mine from,
This is what you want POL to UK bayonet
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165013649686 ... SwBTld0vV1
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Filling bottles is a bit of a contentious issue, I wouldn't make it obvious what you are doing just work out what 80% fill is by litres based on the weight of gas written on the bottle. Obviously you need the valve open when you go to fill them closed BEFORE you remove the filler from the bottle - there will still be a little whoosh of gas but that is normal.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

I've actually kept a car long enough to warrant moting it. Booked for Wednesday morning.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Good luck. What's it like underneath?
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Solid. No corrosion anywhere. Undersealed and had sills done from early in its life we found out the other week.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Good luck Bub, it should sail through.
Private signature, do not read
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

It should do,it's fucking spotless for an old ford and I've been no expense spared either. I've serviced it,atf change,tyres and brakes all new too.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Question for anyone who tows. Experience of spring assisters if anyone has experience? The car doesn't really sit too low and noseweight is less than the limit but I use an old style snake bar with the hitch that sits lower than the towbar on the car which the snake bar fits into and it occasionally catches on speed bumps or inclines into or out of car parks,driveways,camp site entrances and pitches. I have a large ish mobility scooter in the boot and at least 26 litres of fuel in when towing the van so it has a bit of weight on the rear and I want to stop the grounding out. I think spring assisters will be the best way forward.