Warren Does A Buy. One Month Update.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Warren t claim

Re: Warren Does A Buy. FIRST MPG FIGURES

Post by Warren t claim »

OK folks, I've just uncovered a P38 design flaw. I had to load a microwave into the boot earlier today and it's impossible to drop the lower half of the tailgate with one hand.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
red5

Post by red5 »

Warren t claim wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:36 pm
captain_cal wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:42 pm
Warren t claim wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:33 pm It looks like I'm going to have to remove the scuttle to access the vibrating piss flap in the heating system. How hard of a job is that?
Tell me more about your vibrating flap, ahem. Does it make a terrifying buzzing noise when the wind hits it right at motorway speeds?
Indeed it does. Usually at 50mph.
Ah yes, the built in Speed Warning. 👍😁
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

Warren t claim wrote:OK folks, I've just uncovered a P38 design flaw. I had to load a microwave into the boot earlier today and it's impossible to drop the lower half of the tailgate with one hand.
Isn’t that what the staff are for?
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

As we approach the first month of ownership of the former Red5/minimad5 P38 I suppose I should treat you all to an update.

OK Warren, what's gone wrong then? I'm both pleased and slightly surprised to say nowt's fucked up so far and it has provided reliable and comfortable transport for the last 800 miles. The only blot on it's copybook has been the minor immobiliser glitch that's never happened again because I now always lock it with the key.

The good. Despite what you may have heard about the 2.5 BMW dizzler being not up to the job I'm happy to say that it pulls better than you'd think in the gears and is an effortless mile muncher on motorways, especially after a jet wash where water has been sprayed into the scuttle to stop the piss flap rattle! Claim_Intended has given it her seal of approval and loves traveling in it, despite it being DHSS spec without aircon. It always starts quickly on a cold morning after two heats of the glow plugs and doesn't chuck out any black smoke. For a diesel, it sounds quite nice and when revved at a standstill it rocks purposefully. Nothing has broken or fallen off so far.

The bad. I've still not bothered to get the front prop bearing replaced so it's 2WD, I'll get around to that soon I promise. The passenger seat belt doesn't retract without a fight although I do keep it plugged in to stop an annoying rattle from the seat belt buckle. On the subject of seat belts, I've found that it's a pain in the arse to fasten the driver's belt with the arm rest down. It took a couple of weeks for my muscle memory to adapt to the electric window switches, I was always hitting the switch for the rears instead, something that passengers still do now. I think that the ignition barrel is on its way out as sometimes it's difficult to remove the key. Engaging reverse is easier with the hand brake down. The heater is utter pants. The seems little difference in the intermittent wipe settings. The rear seat is a faff to fold down. 1st and 3rd gear are pretty close causing a few wrong gear moments. The rear wiper isn't very good. I'm also pretty sure that the driver's seat gradually "self reclines" like a Mk4 Mondeo as every few daws I have to adjust it slightly more upright. The headlights are shit on dipped beam but awesome on main beam.

All in all, I'm still a happy bunny.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Oh, and I've still not been brave enough to push the low range button yet!
captain_cal

Post by captain_cal »

Warren t claim wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:46 pm The heater is utter pants.
Your blend flaps (more flaps!) are busted (stuck). Mine's like a volcano.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

captain_cal wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:57 pm
Warren t claim wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:46 pm The heater is utter pants.
Your blend flaps (more flaps!) are busted (stuck). Mine's like a volcano.
And where might I find those?

Are they like Gold Blend flaps?

Arthur Foxhake

Re: Warren Does A Buy. One Month Update.

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

Warren is drunk again.
I can tell, because I an as well
red5

Post by red5 »

Warren t claim wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:55 pm Oh, and I've still not been brave enough to push the low range button yet!
It works. Just don't rush it. 👍
red5

Re: Warren Does A Buy. One Month Update.

Post by red5 »

The heater thing is new, was like a furnace. Or I'm harder. 😁