Warren Does A Buy. One Month Update.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SubPar

Re: Warren Does A Buy. AS TDW STAFF COOPERATION

Post by SubPar »

A black E36 estate with an I6 turbo diesel?!

Stop. I can only get so erect.
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

Pal has a p38 minus engine on his drive which is likely going to heaven soon. If you need some bits I’ll pass you his number. He’s a nice chap if not a bit mental and a bit of a WTC in his youth.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

First OMG MPG figures are in hot off the press.

Fuel light went on for inserted £20 of diesel @ £1.55 a litre from Asda.

Fuel light has now come back on 112 miles later.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Warren t claim

Re: Warren Does A Buy. FIRST MPG FIGURES

Post by Warren t claim »

Anyway, so I'm sure you've all been waiting to hear whether the P38 is Whippet and J.R.T approved. Well, for a start I forgot to put the dog guard in I thought I'd just chance them in the back without it and hope they'd stay put. I hadn't even reversed out of the drive before they'd dived between the rear headrests and made themselves at home on the velour. Whippet fancied putting her nose out of the rear window en route which caused a near high speed escape due to the sensitive one shot electric rear windows! Panic over and we arrive at our dog walking field of choice and due to them located on the back seat we let them out via the OSR door. Not being totally stupid I take the opportunity to fold the rear seats forward so eight muddy paws don't decorate the rear seat for the return journey. Walk over I open both the the top and bottom halves of the tailgate and lift both happy hounds in. When home I open the top hatch first and at that point the small J.R.T decides to make a lemming like leap for freedom! How he managed it without hurting himself is a mystery!
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Warren t claim wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:09 pm First OMG MPG figures are in hot off the press.

So just under 3 gallons.
How many of the 112 miles were on a recovery truck?
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

LynehamHerc wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:33 pm
Warren t claim wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:09 pm First OMG MPG figures are in hot off the press.

So just under 3 gallons.
How many of the 112 miles were on a recovery truck?
Zero surprisingly, and no dodgy hypermiling either. Will the lack of front prop be making it more economical?
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I'd guess so as there'll be fewer friction losses although I've no idea of the magnitude. Red5 would be the expert I guess.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Back to the story. I arrived at the Claim_Bird residence and was crossing the road to say hello to one of her friends and definitely NOT to deliver a few sleeves of smuggled Marlboro Reds, when her P38 DSE owning neighbour scampered out to say hello to me, something he'd never done in the last decade, and my new best mate demanded to know all about it and insisted he gave me the lowdown on his example. His in an R plate manual diesel but with leather and plenty of toys, most of which don't work. He bought his a few months ago after being left in a barn for twelve years after the farmer owner died. It took him a day of flushing the red dye out of the fuel system to get it running again and after swapping some wires around to con the ECU that all was well with the suspension, his has been converted to steel springs, it has provided him with reliable transport, even towing three tonnes behind it and occasionally having to drive in low range, something I've not been brave enough to try yet. I must say that for a car that's not been on the road for over a decade his it tatty compared to mine.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Warren t claim wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:56 pm I must say that for a car that's not been on the road for over a decade his it tatty compared to mine.
Warren t claim wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:56 pm farmer owner
That's why.

My parents are farmers. They don't sell cars, they kill them. As do all their neighbours.
red5

Post by red5 »

LynehamHerc wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:40 pm I'd guess so as there'll be fewer friction losses although I've no idea of the magnitude. Red5 would be the expert I guess.
Yup, although a functioning vicious coupling would help. I might even have another one somewhere. I got 34-6 out of it just driving. Tx box has new fluid, fairly sure I did gearbox as well. Did all the filters Inc both pollens as per. 😁