What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: What did you do today?

Post by SiC »

Think I might have just bought another car. Colleague is selling his 2006 A4 estate as he's just had a text to say his Tesla is ready for delivery. The Audi has just had its clutch+flywheel done. He's offered it at WBAC price and said somewhere between 1k and 1.5k.

Anyone want to buy a Fabia? 🤣
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

I put SUPREME fuel into the car today.

Not just regular. Not just plus. SU-frickin-PREME.

Net result it now goes like the proverbial shoveled faeces, it would hesitate and stutter before. I've not had a car so touchy about fuel before.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I'm surprised more cars aren't that touchy about fuel, as most of the bikes I own hate the cheap stuff we get now. Even the one that runs ok on it works a lot better on the expensive stuff.
Private signature, do not read
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:09 pm
Arthur Foxhake wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:36 pm but they were harder to find for that. Took 6 months of looking.
Why so hard? I get them any length, any ends, any pressure from SGS Engineering.

Even had a pair on my Citroen GS cat-flap regassed.
I didn't realise they made them to be honest.
I checked their stock for Hilux Surf and it said out of stock so I just waited for some second hand ones.
I'll keep them in mind for future stut shenanigans.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

PhilA wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:58 am I put SUPREME fuel into the car today.

Not just regular. Not just plus. SU-frickin-PREME.

Net result it now goes like the proverbial shoveled faeces, it would hesitate and stutter before. I've not had a car so touchy about fuel before.

Phil

I've always used the premium fuels in the old stuff and the VW as that's had most of its fuel system replaced. However, once this ethanol shit became a bigger thing I switched the Focus to it as well (Esso Supreme in the South of England is predominantly ethanol free although still rated E5). Of all the cars I drive that one has given the biggest improvement - particularly in regard to the lumpy idle it used to suffer during warm-up.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

I could do with 2 gas struts for the 405. Looking at Autodoc etc I think I need 600mm when extended and 700N. Are the spurious Ebay jobs likely to shit themselves in 12 months?

As for fuels I've been watching those Tyrrell's workshop vids on Youtube and he reckons the fuel here now is becoming more and more of a problem.
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

PhilA wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:58 am I put SUPREME fuel into the car today.

What car?

Ben
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

That lovely posh nissan he bought.
It's a beast.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Snatched the 107 back off my mother this morning to attend a NE shite meet on Saturday. There's a couple off here going iirc.
11 till 4

https://maps.app.goo.gl/234iVYGgtUK9BEf16
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

mercrocker wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:15 amI've always used the premium fuels in the old stuff and the VW as that's had most of its fuel system replaced. However, once this ethanol shit became a bigger thing I switched the Focus to it as well (Esso Supreme in the South of England is predominantly ethanol free although still rated E5). Of all the cars I drive that one has given the biggest improvement - particularly in regard to the lumpy idle it used to suffer during warm-up.
Being Nissan based, it's got more computers than NASA. The fuel here is all E10, but that's of varying quality. Most pumps just deliver 87, unless you select a higher grade, whereby it injects a metered volume of something that boosts the relative octave rating up.
20220212_201204.jpg
20220212_201204.jpg (328.49 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Some places you get three nozzles but I think what they do inside the pump is the same.

Normal driving you don't really notice it, but when you put your foot down and it boosts up- it'll stutter and get unhappy. It's particularly noticeable if you force it to stay in top at about 80 (about 2200 rpm) and request additional speed. You get a COMPUTER SAYS NO moment and it'll refuse to accelerate until you knock it down a few gears and get the revs up. I would argue that's fine but peak torque is 1600 rpm and it's more than capable of a good amount of get up and go at low revs.

Just, adding boost at low rpm makes for bad knock with crappy fuel, so that's a very good way of determining if what you just put in the tank is any good.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag