Sub Par Cars

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SubPar

Re: Sub Par Cars - 323 + 205 = 528

Post by SubPar »

captain_70s wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:00 pm
SubPar wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:39 pm I got fed up of using a bluetooth FM transmitter that kept picking up interference no matter what frequency I tuned it to.
I also found this an issue once I moved to civilisation, although I went the other route and fitted tape players to use those cassette to aux jack adaptors. I think you can get Bluetooth versions as well, inexplicably.
I did consider that, as the original cassette deck came with the car. I was informed by a previous owner that it was fucked, though. I also seem to have misplaced my (admittedly shitty) cassette adapters when I moved.

I've heard about those bluetooth ones, but they have batteries in them and need recharged. Sod that.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

SubPar wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:49 pm
captain_70s wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:00 pm
SubPar wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:39 pm I got fed up of using a bluetooth FM transmitter that kept picking up interference no matter what frequency I tuned it to.
I also found this an issue once I moved to civilisation, although I went the other route and fitted tape players to use those cassette to aux jack adaptors. I think you can get Bluetooth versions as well, inexplicably.
I did consider that, as the original cassette deck came with the car. I was informed by a previous owner that it was fucked, though. I also seem to have misplaced my (admittedly shitty) cassette adapters when I moved.

I've heard about those bluetooth ones, but they have batteries in them and need recharged. Sod that.
I still use those cassette adapters too, some are shit, some very good. The previous owner of my car told me the radio was fucked, it was just locked up due to a wrong code being put in. Finding the code and reading the manual sorted it from fucked to working in about 30 seconds.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Fair enough.

I was told by a previous owner that the old radio switched on fine and did radio stuff fine, but the cassette player was worn out / broken.

Considering I already sliced one knuckle open putting in the Blaupunkt I'm reluctant to fuck about with radios in that car again any time soon.
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

Worth bearing in mind that even if the cassette deck won't play an actual cassette it might play an adaptor as that doesn't rely on the spindles spinning.

This can be tested without throwing it in a car by just rigging the radio to a 12v battery. If you want an adaptor to try give me a shout as I have a spare one somewhere
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

^ WOT he says, beat me to it.
They do Bluetooth tape adapters too now but I couldn't find one with decent reports on it when I looked but that was a couple of years ago.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Well I'll be changing the radio in it anyway, maybe I'll shove the original cassette deck back in for now.

The fucking "Blaupunkt" radio is only that in name. Quality-wise it's shite and I've opened a return case for it.

Today it started struggling to stream bluetooth audio. Stuttering and buffering every 5 seconds. I then tried the 3.5mm line-in as well. Nope. What a pile of substandard garbage.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

SubPar wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:03 pm The fucking "Blaupunkt" radio is only that in name. Quality-wise it's shite and I've opened a return case for it.
Yep. There's a lot of shite like that.

Last deck I bought was a Kenwood out of Hellfrauds on the cheap. There was fuck all display in stock (was in Stirling at the time), but they dug out a CD BT DAB Kenwood that was £70, so I took it. Still works as far as I know. I'll have to ask Tommy as it's in his Jaaag
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:11 pm
SubPar wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:03 pm The fucking "Blaupunkt" radio is only that in name. Quality-wise it's shite and I've opened a return case for it.
Yep. There's a lot of shite like that.

Last deck I bought was a Kenwood out of Hellfrauds on the cheap. There was fuck all display in stock (was in Stirling at the time), but they dug out a CD BT DAB Kenwood that was £70, so I took it. Still works as far as I know. I'll have to ask Tommy as it's in his Jaaag
The BMW is running a £70 Sony unit from Halfords.
It's absolutely perfect. It's been in there since I bought the car in September 2021 and I use it for bluetooth every time I drive it. No problems.

It was also from the Stirling branch of Halfords. :D
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

SubPar wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:03 pm Well I'll be changing the radio in it anyway, maybe I'll shove the original cassette deck back in for now.

The fucking "Blaupunkt" radio is only that in name. Quality-wise it's shite and I've opened a return case for it.

Today it started struggling to stream bluetooth audio. Stuttering and buffering every 5 seconds. I then tried the 3.5mm line-in as well. Nope. What a pile of substandard garbage.
Worth a try. If it's original to the car some Pugs came with Clarions and they sound pretty good. Also check the speakers to see if they are anything like the ones in the inastate I bought, they've completely rotted out.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:23 pm
SubPar wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:03 pm Well I'll be changing the radio in it anyway, maybe I'll shove the original cassette deck back in for now.

Worth a try. If it's original to the car some Pugs came with Clarions and they sound pretty good. Also check the speakers to see if they are anything like the ones in the inastate I bought, they've completely rotted out.
I have it on my desk next to me right now. It's a Clarion.

The speakers actually seem fine. I managed to get the trim to rattle with some classic early 2000s trance the other day...