What's The First Car You Remember Being Released?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
HMC

Re: What's The First Car You Remember Being Released?

Post by HMC »

Ford mondeo, 1993. Big fanfare and top gear did an episode dedicated to Ford basically. New mondeo test (Clarkson) retrospective on cortinas (Michelle Newman- schoolboy crush) and buying a used Sierra (Quentin Wilson)
1962 p4 80 // 1963 minor // 2005 streetwise
HMC

Post by HMC »

Although maybe it’s the e34 5 series as I remember a neighbour had one new (at launch) which cause much curtain twitching in the suburbs.
1962 p4 80 // 1963 minor // 2005 streetwise
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Are you lot old enough to be here?
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.

Post by Guest »

Warren t claim wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:31 am Are you lot old enough to be here?
Now, now, just because nobody else can remember the launch of the Austin 7. It caused such a stir when they showed it being driven by a woman, well that and her showing a flash if her ankle when she got into it
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Austin 7? Pah new-fangled tosh. I remember Herbert launching his single-cylinder 7HP and getting Swift to build them as he was busy.

Women didn't even have ankles then - they moved around on little wheels like on Camberwick Green.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
captain_cal

Post by captain_cal »

I can't remember stuff being released BUT I was well into number plate spotting as a kid so I do remember the day T-reg cars came out and my neighbour bought one for his wife - a Proton Persona 1.3!!!
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

Being born in 1992 means that there has been nothing released worthy of committing to memory since I was old enough to be into cars.

I recall the Bugatti Veyron kicking up a big hooha, other than that I was pretty much into old shit and the last decade has been a descent into crossover hell.
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

Remember the manta B and thinking how cool it looked in a sort of 70’s orange or yellow. Probably why I had several of them when they were EOL.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

My first job was at an engineering company on a local industrial estate. There was another, smaller, works opposite ours and I remember 3 of our blokes looking at the car park across the road, tutting about a new arrival....

The gaffer "over there" had just bought a Dealer Opel Team Broadspeed Turbomanta ( Manta A) - one of the all-black Berlinetta-based cars. It had cost a fortune (for an Opel) and the rest of the morning was peppered with conversations comparing it to a 308 Dino, Merak or whatever was on the spokesman's wish-list....

I just thought it was fucking cool and silently tipped an imaginary hat to the geezer for buying it. Co-incidentally I left the business shortly after to be a pump-jockey at a local Opel dealer by which time the Manta and Ascona Bs had arrived.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

captain_cal wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:06 pm I can't remember stuff being released BUT I was well into number plate spotting as a kid so I do remember the day T-reg cars came out and my neighbour bought one for his wife - a Proton Persona 1.3!!!
I remember T reg coming out too. In 1979! I remember a bloke piling a brand new T reg bedford HA van into a tree down the road.