Fleet Occurrences

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
AutoshiteBoy

Re: Fleet Occurrences

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Give his number to Sheefag.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Did you contact the seller about his velcro stunt? Absolute wanker.

When I welded the punto exhaust, I pressurised it with the vacuum on blow and sprayed soapy water to check for leaks. Meant I could blob more weld on before refitting.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

No but in his haste he didnt take a note of any of my details to execute a keeper change, despite giving me the green slip. He text me the next day asking me to do it instead and gave me the V5 reference number. I obviously did it right away but didn't reply to his message. I hope he's sweating it until the letter comes through from DVLA.

He also concealed the cords exposed by a massive chunk out of the NSF tyre sidewall with what looked like black spray paint. I ended up just buying 4 new tyres today as the others were quite old. Still another shady trick.

Back using decent car again tonight though:
20210713_194254.jpg
20210713_194254.jpg (397.17 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
I flipping love this old Cav man, I've used it quite a bit in the month I've had it, considering I'm working from home.

Conversely, I haven't used the Audi in ages and it's been in my garage for about 3 weeks now. I welded the hairline crack in the exhaust and sealed it further with gun gum but it's blowing from somewhere completely different. I'm unlikely to use it again really as we all have bikes now and I bought a towbar mounted carrier for the 75. So on sunny days we will be cycling rather than going in the convertible. Im building myself up to the prospect of selling it while it's still got a long MOT and it's summer. Not yet though, I do still like it. I'll see how I feel after the Mini is sold and I'm back down to a comfortable 4 cars.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Hooli wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:22 am Ffs at the velcro boot, you should drive back and stamp on their head.
Nip back and fix their doors with super glue
HMC

Post by HMC »

The cav looks lovely. Great colour. Really solid rear arch/sill bit by the looks of things as well.
1962 p4 80 // 1963 minor // 2005 streetwise
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Post by angrydicky »

The Cavalier looks very clean. Did you sell the other one?
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Cheers yes I sold the green petrol one when this one came up. The green one was nice but this one, despite quite a bit of lacquer peel on the nearside, is almost perfect structurally and only has 94k. Jim Bell from the Beige had the front inner arch bottoms welded and I welded up 2 small holes in the back of the OS sill. Otherwise it's completely solid and hasnt been welded before Ben had it. The green one had been extensively welded in the past with new arches and sills whereas this one is on its excellent originals so the solidness is transparent if that makes sense.

I absolutely love it. Early facelifts are great as you get the best steering wheel and the nicer lamps.
RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

It's funny that I could have had the cavalier a couple of owners ago when I was offered a swap for the rusty beige 305, really I should have done the deal because the cavalier looks fantastic and the 305 is a rusty pile of shit.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Aye I have quickly realised that I don't enjoy welding but I guess it's better that I learned in the long run. Glad this one doesn't need any more!

Had a bit of a war with the oil change today.

The Isuzu lump is the first engine I've had that doesn't like the Pela. The lance couldn't get into the sump far enough so I had to dig out the axle stands and take out the sump plug. Thankfully it's a big old 20mm nut so pretty robust and it all came out no bother.

I knew the filter would be a war as its buried at the back of the head behind a plethora of pipes and its also quite near the rather fragile looking plastic gear linkage. I ended up getting it moving OK but Opie have sent a filter that is both too small and won't fit on the thread. The one that came off seems extremely hard to find. I managed to get a list of cross referenced ones though so I am going to visit ECP tomorrow and ask for any of the filters on that list. Surely they must have one.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Had a go at welding the Audi exhaust today with the help of a mate.
IMG-20210718-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20210718-WA0014.jpg (474.07 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
It was blowing in 4 places, 2 on the downpipe welds and 2 at either end of a middle silencer.
IMG-20210718-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20210718-WA0007.jpg (357.58 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
It's still blowing a bit and really, the exhaust is at the end of it's life. No cunt wants to sell me even just a downpipe for a 1.8 off the Audi pages even although I am willing to pay postage.

I think I'll have to fork out for a custom made one.