Cars That Exceeded Your Expectations

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Broccoli

Re: Cars That Exceeded Your Expectations

Post by Broccoli »

Mk 1 Corsa 1.7 diesel.
Foot to the floor everywhere. Unburstable engine (nearly). Nice controllable slides due to all the weight over the front.

Citroen AX not quite 1ltr. Roundabout hoon mobile, complete with driver leaning over (lowers the center of gravity right...) killed by iffy front drive shafts.

Vauxhall Astra MK2 Merit estate with 1.7 Diesel engine. Between us, my Dad and I managed to wear out the tire sidewalls before the tread, such was the fun powering it around corners.

WRX wagon - currently in service. AC is dead. Engine warning light has been on since I’ve had it, but goes like stink and pops and crackles when it’s having fun. Dogs love it as they get to slobber and shed with impunity. Needs summer tires though as the winter ones on it are getting a bit skittish in the recent warm weather.
FhakeConcern
Cycle Cunt

Post by FhakeConcern »

As I explained on another thread I swapped my XM V6 for Moodus that Mrs Concern could drive.
It looks hideous
It's gold!
It's French
It broke the cam belt about a week after we got it
IMG_5073.JPG
IMG_5073.JPG (504.86 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
Plenty of space in the engine bay...
IMG_3985.JPG
IMG_3985.JPG (473.41 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
However we really like it...

It is the 1600 petrol and pretty nippy and as it's basically a Mk3 Clio it handles well despite wearing out the door handles when cornering. I know it was ridiculed at launch for being a Clio you could wear a top hat in, but strangely that does make it amazingly spacious and we have fitted all sorts of shit in the thing. The upright shape also makes it more comfortable than you'd expect.

Nippy
ModusFanClub.jpg
ModusFanClub.jpg (52.44 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
Wear a top hat if you like...
AdModus.jpg
AdModus.jpg (44.79 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
Safer than my Ovlov maybe...
renault-modus-tank-small-64585.jpg
renault-modus-tank-small-64585.jpg (54.93 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
Moodus...
Moodus badge.jpg
Moodus badge.jpg (82.72 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Off Topic, I keep getting tempted to buy a tophat for bike rallies.
Private signature, do not read
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

There was always a geezer at Rocker's Reunion and other bike-related rocking nights who used to walk round in one, with a voodoo stick. I've got one of those if you want to borrow it to complete the look.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
NergleFuttocks
Globalist Imperialist Pig Dog!

Post by NergleFuttocks »

Peugeot 405 1.6GL. Had it while my GTXi was gone and the STDT still hadn’t arrived. I loved that thing. Such fun to drive.

The other was my Scorpio 2.9 12v estate. Expected an ocean liner but surprised me how effortless could also be pleasurable.

Great Wall Deer XLWB on treacherous mountain roads wringing every last drop of torque from the ancient 2.2 engine up the slopes and using the gearbox to counter the catastrophic brake fade on the way down.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Bazfr69 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:16 am 3CDBA189-63B7-4BA7-8A84-0F021D63B6AC.jpeg

I forgot the most obvious one that’s still with us. Our 1999 RAV4.
Bought in a hurry for £1800 as a car to ferry my dad around in when he gave up driving, still with us a dozen years later and six years after his passing.

2L petrol, auto, full time 4wd, thirsty and a bit tatty but has cost little more than servicing and fuel over the years while holding the odd position of the car I’ve owned longer than any other in spite of me not really wanting it in the first place.

Sadly it’s number is up this year and I’m dreading it going, it’ll be like the last trip to the vet.
Shift that cat off the hood. It'll take all the paint off.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

Hooli wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:24 pm Off Topic, I keep getting tempted to buy a tophat for bike rallies.
That’s all a bit old hat nowadays.

Fuck me it’s catching!
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:42 pm I drove an A40 once and thought it was OK. A rare one too being a Mark 2 but with the 948 motor.

Never knew they did one with that engine. The company seemed to have a penchant for special small engined versions, hence the continued use of the miserable 803 cc engine in the Disabled Person Car and post office van.
mbimage.jpeg
mbimage.jpeg (70.11 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
Despite no automatic version they helpfully relocated the dipswitch.

Back to the A40,. I hope it had the Mk 2s all hydraulic brakes. I'm reminded of the nasty Mk 1 and A35 set up which shares one vulnerably placed slave cylinder between the 2 rear brakes.
One other area where Minors have the upper hand is steering, apart from being less precise, A35's have a poor lock for such a small car.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Later A35 vans used the 848 Mini block too. They got their money's worth.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Tetleysmooth

Post by Tetleysmooth »

My CR-V. Bought originally for Mrs Tetley. I didn't like it much originally. Mrs Tetley didn't want it. I finally found out why she didn't want it, 'because coons drive 'em. I kept it for myself and now think it's a brilliant motor. Gonna put a new wishbone on it today.