Automobile Superstitions.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: Automobile Superstitions.

Post by mercrocker »

Precisely why I always play straight ball with them.....Including storage arrangements. There are three postcodes involved and I don't want any problems over that either.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

I grew up with various automobile superstitions from a very young age.

Let's rewind back to the mid 70s to start.

Despite being Irish, my grandmother totally forbid us from having a green car as it was unlucky. Bad enough, but let's throw in her other Daily Mail induced fears into the mix as well. She'd read a story about a woman who'd accidentally driven over a cliff due to a malfunctioning automatic transmission in a Mercedes. Our family car could therefore not be an automatic. Another tabloid tale doing the rounds back then was a scare story that if you have an accident in a car with a vinyl roof and the car catches fire the roof will melt and drip onto the occupants. Yes I know the vinyl roof covers the car's steel roof and that can't happen but it was in the Daily Express at the time so it must be true. Sadly, Grandad_Claim was trying to buy a new Mk1 Granada at the time from a strike-ridden Ford Motor Company and Phil, the fleet manager at our builders merchants, used up every favour he had with Skelly's Ford World in Liverpool to beat the waiting list and bagsy us a new car. I don't have to tell you that what arrived at our yard was a green Mk1 Granada Ghia automatic with a black vinyl roof....
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Just to prove that money can change people's minds, back in 1980 Mutha_Claim owned an HC Viva. During a bad storm one night the coping stones fell off our roof and landed on her Viva smashing the windscreen and severely denting the roof. To avoid involving the Prudential Home Insurance, Grandmother_Claim paid to have my mum's car fixed on the cheap and this involved covering up the Viva's roof damage by having a vinyl roof fitted...

Just in case you are wondering, every member of our family bought green cars after Grandmother_Claim died, in fact, Mother_Claim always bought automatics whenever she could.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.