How not to get a MGB back on the road

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: How not to get a MGB back on the road

Post by LynehamHerc »

I wish that I could weld but I'm too old and creaky to learn now.
I'm happy doing other stuff and hopefully this welding will last until I've given up driving.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

In some ways this should be in what have I done today.

Made about a dozen smallish holes sanding and wire brushing the passenger floorpan.
Got covered in crap as the wire brush hurls small particles of rubberised soundproofing everywhere, if the Black and White Minstrels were still going I could audition on my appearance but definitely not singing - I can't
Been stabbed in the lower back by an assegai - just spending a few hours on my knees bent over sanding etc. couldn't possibly have caused the pain.

More fun tomorrow.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

mercrocker wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:33 pm Yeah, I could do some of the work myself but I'd rather be doing other things with my limited time off than lay down swearing at cars.
Ahem, there is something I really ought to learn from.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

Well, that's the wire rushing and kurusting done so my back and knees will have time to recover whilst they weld up the holes in the floorpan. Once they've done this it'll be time to rattle away.
That might be a while though as it looks their receptionist will be self isolating as her husband might have CV. The owner is pretty worried to say the least.
It puts my car problems into perspective.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

The floorpans are now welded up but I can't go there so I agreed that they'd rattle can it for me so at least the reassembly could start. The problems then started. The hoodframe mounting points were held in place by rivets, so needed new ones welding in.
Then it was discovered that a load of parts that were with it when it went into the garage a couple of years ago had vanished. One being a virtually NOS steering wheel that I paid a load for about 10 years ago. Even the interior mirror and its mounting rod had disappeared.
I suspect the bodyshop but it's too late to do anything now and it'd be my word against theirs.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Bastards, a body shop lost a load of bits of trim for the Midget I had years ago too. Couldn't prove that either.
Private signature, do not read
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

I just can't be fucking about with bodyshops- again they all act like they're some kind of magicians and spin various lines of bullshit. I'd rather buy some kit and learn to do it myself. I briefly met some berk this morning with a Willy's jeep who made presumptions, I wasn't going to straighten him out as I didn't get much kip last might and felt like shit on a biscuit this morning but I got that same vibe from him.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Need to see some rust/welding pics of that MG Chadders...
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

I'll do some pics once I can actually go and see it.

I didn't take any before it went off as I didn't realise just how bad it was, the oversills concealed the true state of it.
It was only when it was on the ramp that you could see it and I never thought to take any pics then, I was in a state of 'wallet-shock'.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Bodyshops are almost all scum. If they're cheap, they're crap, if expensive, they're crap. I only use two that are pretty good and not dear.

35 years ago I painted a 1959 Mini. It was handpainted green so myself and Father Bluejeans paint stripped it back to bare metal with Nitromors and no DA sander. Etch primed it, flatted it dry, three coats of primer, left it 2 days, wet sanded it with 800 grit on a very hot day and then painted it with a very old DeVilbiss gun and a small compressor, using single pack acrylic. Tartan red with a white roof. I had the whole job done in a week. The paint was like glass after 2000 grit and a lot of back breaking polishing by hand. At the time I was 4 months into a VW Audi bodyshop apprenticeship.

Most painters think they are Gods - few are businessmen.