A complete loss of the plot

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
panhard65

Re: A complete loss of the plot

Post by panhard65 »

CLINT wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:22 am They smell poisonous I agree, but if you remove the insides from the catalysts then not only do they drive marginally better but they smell like the older ones. Still pass an mot too. MoT emissions are not the same as the ones they had to pass to gain EU approval. It can fail the test if the cat has been visibly removed though.
With the new tougher diesel emmissions test they can tell when the guts have been knocked out of a DPF. This is on newer stuff that has a label to say what the limit should be. I had an Audi A6 failed badly and you could see the DPF had been tampered with so I gave it back to the customer saying I wasn't interested in even looking at it unless he was prepared to pay for a new DPF. According to some crap I read somewhere diesel emmission fails have gone up about 20% since they brought this in. The levels of diesels being scrapped has also risen significantly so this article said. (Don't ask me where I read this to fact check it as I can't remember but it was probably a trade mag)
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

The first thing to do with a modern diesel is to stick a service label over the emissions data so they use the default limits at testing time
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

If you have to put an additive in the car (Ad Blue), doesn't this defeat the point of being 'better' for the environment, which is why emissions laws were tightened up? All that Ad Blue has to be manufactured from somewhere, and all those plastic containers it comes in.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I think that they're just simplistic targets, x% less in 2 years time or whatever and the manufacturers do what is best for them to achieve them so they don't get hit by humongous fines. Any ancillary environmental damage is just ignored.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

fried onions wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:29 pm If you have to put an additive in the car (Ad Blue), doesn't this defeat the point of being 'better' for the environment, which is why emissions laws were tightened up? All that Ad Blue has to be manufactured from somewhere, and all those plastic containers it comes in.
It's pig piss mainly, we import it from the Netherlands where they have huge battery farms for pigs, something you may like to point out to any vegan driving a modern diesel who is critical of your choice to drive an older motor.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

DodgeRover wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:21 pm
fried onions wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:29 pm If you have to put an additive in the car (Ad Blue), doesn't this defeat the point of being 'better' for the environment, which is why emissions laws were tightened up? All that Ad Blue has to be manufactured from somewhere, and all those plastic containers it comes in.
It's pig piss mainly, we import it from the Netherlands where they have huge battery farms for pigs, something you may like to point out to any vegan driving a modern diesel who is critical of your choice to drive an older motor.
Lol?

Synthetic urea is made from ammonia and CO2. The reverse process is used to convert it back into ammonia for the SCR filter. Straight ammonia is very nasty stuff, hence why adblue is made from urea as it's easier to handle.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Most vegans are assholes.
Squire Dawson

mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

fried onions wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:16 pm Most vegans have trouble with their assholes.

Also true.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

fried onions wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:16 pm Most vegans are ARSEholes.
FTFY

I expected better from you Squire.
Private signature, do not read
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Hooli wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:18 am

I expected better from you Squire.
Don't!
Squire Dawson