A car for Life?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
8BAK465

Re: A car for Life?

Post by 8BAK465 »

treehugger wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:43 pm Bristol banning diesels? Climate change, innitt!
I dont doubt its happening the seasons dont appear to be where they once where but like anything thesedays they use a sledgehammer to crack a nut before having an alternative to the nut they are breaking :roll:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Post by treehugger »

Think the governments alternative is probably walking..........
As I suspected I was right about everything.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

treehugger wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:43 pm Bristol banning diesels? Climate change, innitt!
They are fucking stupid and don't realise that half their "green" measures actually make things worse. Diesels were bad when they belched out smoke but the particles were large and visable. They would soon sink and just make a mess of things really. Now they bung all the soot through a filter that basically makes the particles so much smaller they stay floating around longer and are far more harmful. Add to the stupid low speed limits and traffic calming that means the dpf's and cats on petrol cars don't get hot enough to work it just gets worse. Why politicians instead of engineers are allowed to come up with these stupid solutions I don't know. Back in the 80's the manufacturers were trying to cut emmissions by going down the lean burn route which got pretty good results and with time would of only got better. Unfortunatly the powers that be decided everything should have a cat. Cat's only work if they have something to convert so the lean burn didn't create enough polution so the manufactures stopped persuing it. The whole shit show just pisses me off including the twats that think 20mph zones are a good idea. Just teach kids the green cross code so they don't get run over in the first place instead of making cars go so slow they put out more emmissions. Idiots !!!!!
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

panhard65 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:09 pm
They are fucking stupid and don't realise that half their "green" measures actually make things worse. Diesels were bad when they belched out smoke but the particles were large and visable. They would soon sink and just make a mess of things really. Now they bung all the soot through a filter that basically makes the particles so much smaller they stay floating around longer and are far more harmful. Add to the stupid low speed limits and traffic calming that means the dpf's and cats on petrol cars don't get hot enough to work it just gets worse. Why politicians instead of engineers are allowed to come up with these stupid solutions I don't know. Back in the 80's the manufacturers were trying to cut emmissions by going down the lean burn route which got pretty good results and with time would of only got better. Unfortunatly the powers that be decided everything should have a cat. Cat's only work if they have something to convert so the lean burn didn't create enough polution so the manufactures stopped persuing it. The whole shit show just pisses me off including the twats that think 20mph zones are a good idea. Just teach kids the green cross code so they don't get run over in the first place instead of making cars go so slow they put out more emmissions. Idiots !!!!!
I still say my old Mercedes 190d that had no cat,no Horsepiss adblue ran cleaner than diesels of today :roll:

Cats clog up then you see cars boot the throttle and it all comes out at once :roll:

My old catless benz never did that :?
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

8BAK465 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:41 pm
Meanwhile Bristol is intent on banning all Diesels
Attachments
v0_master.jpg
v0_master.jpg (33.15 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

And this one actually has diesel engines :

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _11072.jpg
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Nothing to do with climate change. Its all to do with the fact that diesels chuck out minging crap from the tail pipe. Personally I'd think it'd be great if they simply banned all traffic in and around the centre from ~9am to 5pm. Nothing worse than walking along to have some shit old bus chucking out black smoke or some modern car regenerating its DPF filter as you walk past.

Even though a petrol car chucks out nastys too, at least unburnt, rich running engines that are cold smell half decent... Even if they are still poisoning you.

One of the reasons we're trying to move out of Bristol is to get away from the stinking pollution. Also terribly car unfriendly place to drive. Always has been, but getting more so.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Sheddy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:21 pm Image
Actually this is part of the problem. A lot of the Bristol public transport infrastructure, like the tram system, were bombed flat during the war. Unfortantly as the car looked to be the future, it never got rebuilt. Instead we now have double-decker busses wobbling all over heavily cambered and narrow roads. Behind which is a long line of cars with a single person sat in them because the roads are too narrow for any car to get through. Mix in pedestrians and cyclists, it all gets a bit of a big mess.

Bristol transport infrastructure needs a radical overhaul. Unfortantly its been punting on by successive local governments. All the while the city has got wealthier thus making it more populated and leading to be even more heavily congested.

I love cars, but once you live in a older historic city that was never built around them, you realise how completely unsuitable they are for high population density areas. Something is going to have to change. More capacity for cars is not going to work, apart from the lack of room for roads and parking, its too inefficient way of doing it anyway.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

mercrocker wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:16 am Yep, this is what will kill my 190E. OE dizzy no longer available, parts for the fuel injection are likewise. Been chasing an idle problem for over a year now....
If it comes to it you could fit a mega squirt or mega jolt to control ignition and sparks or sparks only along with different injectors fitting in the inlet tract.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I was going to say megasquirt but you've beaten me to it
Private signature, do not read