Trafficators. Nuns and kittens will die.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Re: Trafficators. Nuns and kittens will die.

Post by angrydicky »

My Somerset has a high-level brake light fitted by a previous owner. It features a Lucas stop/tail light (same as the ones on the car) mounted on a homemade aluminium bracket he’s obviously cut out with a hacksaw. He also made a badge bar out of the same aluminium, but it looked shit because the badges weren’t wide enough to hide the rough cuts. I took an angle grinder to it, cut out the excess and it looks ok now, I think.
Can’t beat old giffer mods!
59Impala

Post by 59Impala »

Bearing in mind that modern day drivers seem to have the attention span of a gnat I think that it's important to have visible indicators (although drivers of prestigious* German vehicles may wonder what they are). As you know I drive an old American car (and have done so since 1976/7) and as older ones have red rear signals I have experienced the near miss you describe with your Somerset when turning right. These days what with these new fangled LED things there does seem to be a way to put discreet but bright indicators on an old car. Even though I am an old codger and remember vehicles with trafficators I wouldn't be looking out for them nowadays. The only one I can recall seeing in recent years was an Morris MO that was turning left and it was only as it made the turn that I could see the trafficator. Most drivers these days won't have a clue sadly, they don't even know what hand signals are apart from rude ones :-)
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Post by angrydicky »

Last one I saw (that wasn’t my own) was a delightfully original ‘47 Humber Super Snipe with its little trafficator out as it approached a junction. I’ve seen it a handful of times since, and chatted to the owner at the Co op, unfortunately I’ve never seen it when I’ve been driving something old.
I like the idea of having visible but hidden (if that makes sense) flashers. The fronts are easy as they can take the place of the front sidelights. Rears are more difficult.
8B8B32E0-21FE-4770-AA4D-19040FADC21B.jpeg
8B8B32E0-21FE-4770-AA4D-19040FADC21B.jpeg (879.23 KiB) Viewed 575 times
1E65593B-11D4-4959-8AA5-21917C04551F.jpeg
1E65593B-11D4-4959-8AA5-21917C04551F.jpeg (150.24 KiB) Viewed 575 times
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

There are days I'm thankful that the lighting system rules haven't changed much here in the last seventy years in terms of the basics.
To have red flashing turn signals at the back is still common and well understood- allI can say is remove the 1157 bulbs and fit the brightest damn LED bulbs that Dr. Evil would happily try to cut his nemesis in half with.

This observation brought to you by modern tail lights that are as bright as old brake lights and brake lights that can cut through steel at 600 feet.

Ones that do the blink blink blink on thing seem to snap people out of their stupor (looks like police strobes).

Trafficators that are really bright and flash orange like modem turn signals are a very very good idea.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag