Land Rover Rustorashun and other shit

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Land Rover Rustorashun

Post by Hooli »

You've gotta love shitpart! they are cheap for a reason, shame they don't sort things out as I bet they could make double the profit by just selling working parts at the same price rather than employing more staff to sort returns than sales.
Private signature, do not read
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

Hooli wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:30 pm You've gotta love shitpart! they are cheap for a reason, shame they don't sort things out as I bet they could make double the profit by just selling working parts at the same price rather than employing more staff to sort returns than sales.
thing is that they are not so cheap anymore + suppliers are advertising them as OE Quality.

I fear specific questions such as "did it come in a blue bag/box?" before telling them to get fucking bent
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

FFS things have got worse then
Private signature, do not read
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

The VW air-cooled parts have gone down the same route, supposedly OE quality but actually shit.
In my T2 restoration the brand new fuel tank sender was fucked so the engine had to come out again. The next one was tested on the bench, fucked, the next was ok so it was installed. It turns out that those made in the Czech Republic, if I remember correctly, are fine elsewhere are shit yet all have the same vw part number and are supposedly OE quality.
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

cunts! now that is 4 times and I am normally such a mild mannered chap
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

A while back I had a Britpart Series radiator cap last only months before the centre rivet dissolved and it separated into its component parts. The Bearmach one did exactly the same, it just cost more, so the two items are probably sourced from the same place.
I recently bought Knoblander brake disc shields from Paddock- £50each, Britpart branded, would have cost pennies to bash out but they're the only ones available. So, yes, not even cheap shit any more.
John F

Post by John F »

Oh bugger, I need a new NSF hub and a PAS pump for my Disco 2.

The OEM hub from Paddocks is £188, an "OE quality" one is £75. What's the betting the cheap part is Britpart?

A Google search suggests that lrdirect (https://www.lrdirect.com) gives the option of other manufacturers e.g. Bearmach, Allmakes and Original Equipment as well as Genuine Land Rover... has anyone used them before?
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

Shitpart is now regularly advertised as OE quality

8 years ago I was having fun and games with the steering intermediate shaft that fits between the box and the end of the column in the engine bay. After a series of cheapo shitpart episodes failing* on me within a few months I hobbled along to the Land Rover parts counter, yep it came in a blue bag! "err no thanks" I replied especially as it was now 6 times more expensive.

In the end I just got busy with the supplier and their returns department.

*two faults seemed to happen.
#1 the sealed UJ's were bone dry and so wore out in no time at all
#2 the rivets holding the rubber donut and shear pin to the UJ at one end were often just loose

Both faults resulted in horrible wandering feel at the steering wheel

Eventually I got one that was ok and it has been on the car since. I have been collecting OE 2nd hand parts when I find them

Be-fucking very- wary
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

John F wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:04 pm Oh bugger, I need a new NSF hub and a PAS pump for my Disco 2.

The OEM hub from Paddocks is £188, an "OE quality" one is £75. What's the betting the cheap part is Britpart?

A Google search suggests that lrdirect (https://www.lrdirect.com) gives the option of other manufacturers e.g. Bearmach, Allmakes and Original Equipment as well as Genuine Land Rover... has anyone used them before?
Paddocks helpfully provide the JLR part number, use that on Google to see if you can find something that doesn't come in a blue bag of misery
John F

Post by John F »

I've ordered a hub that's branded "EBT", hopefully it won't come in the blue bag of fail.
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana