Ford Escape - running report

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Ford Escape - running report

Post by DodgeRover »

As those who have read my posts in the grin/ grump thread will now the family transport of a Lexus RX300 had retired for the time being with a poorly gearbox. Panic searching of all the usual suspects sites with the filters of lpg, towbar not to far away narrowed the search down to 3 candidates.
3.0 ford maverick /escape
2.0 Kia sorento
3.5 Nissan Murano CVT

A phone call quickly saw the CVT Nissan struck of the list, further searching found a lot of spares or repair Kia's for sale with gearbox issues.

Messages on the Maverick were ok, not logged as lpg and no certification note this I don't really give a shit about but the wife's insurance company made a scene about it last time.

Make cheeky offer expecting to get turned down flat, fuck me it's accepted!

Borrow in laws car to drive down to sunny Bognor Regis as I've been designated driver and my wife doesn't like my van.

First impressions are good, 4 wheels all inflated and pointing the correct direction and no gapping holes in the body. It's had MOT advisories about rust so a quick peek underneath tells me the tester was arse covering. But there is an exhaust hanger gone.
Sounds well, drivers well, that'll do for us.
At this point we go to do the paperwork and the owner pulls out a wad of history including all the missing paperwork for the gas!!

Now for the odd bit, about 5 years ago I looked at another blue maverick on gas but the owner wouldn't let me test drive it so obviously I walked away, going through the history and yep it's the same car I looked at!
IMG_20190901_200033_6.jpg
IMG_20190901_200033_6.jpg (4.13 MiB) Viewed 5990 times
Last edited by DodgeRover on Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NergleFuttocks
Globalist Imperialist Pig Dog!

Re: A lucky* Escape

Post by NergleFuttocks »

Those Sorentos are pretty handy things. I had one in Carnival flavor (coz Asia) and it had a rather nice V6 3.5 lump to make indecently quick progress with. Did UK ever get the petrol ones? If they did, I bet a few of them got lpg’ed due to 3.5 flavor indecent mpg.

Ignore that. I am thinking of Sedona. Unless the SUV had the same engine.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Damn having problems taxing it, it says it has been sorned in the last 5 days well yes obviously due to the change of keeper.
Hopefully the post office can do it, otherwise we shall be avoiding anpr till the log book comes :(

Oh and I should have left some w Indies open last night, the carpets were filthy so I have up with the Vax turned the hosepipe on them and scrubed them with TFR before sucking then dry with the Vax.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Yeah they all do that with tax sir, PO is your answer as you say. Just take the new keepers section of the V5c with you.
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Done and taxed at post office will change fuel type over to alternative fuel when the log book comes back and get a huge £10 discount on the road tax.

Went into Bridges to get a radio and someone had driven in a minty mint RX300, 60k miles, bloody COD had already been issued :(
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Changed the oil and filter on this today, hopefully the filter not being lose will cure the oil leak, to compensate for the lose filter whoever had the sump plug out last time tightened it stupidly, a 3' breaker bar should not be required.

Fuel consumption is around 5 miles per litre which makes it the most economical vehicle we have had for a while.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Running report on this just back from a 500 mile round trip. Has used no oil or water but had gone through 116l of LPG which gives a disappointing average of about 19.5 mpg. Mind I wasn't hanging about before getting in multiple traffic jams so that may have had something to do with it, testing on a private road showed that at an indicated 80mph it's quieter than the Lexus inside.

Our last one did the same journey on petrol and averaged nearly 25mpg, technically speaking it's spot on with the accepted 80% of the mpg on LPG but that's not been my personal experience so it's probably due the throttle body cleaning and a new air filter.

Tracked it up while I was at my parents, was showing a quarter inch toe out on the 60 year old trammel bar, have set it parallel and it's stable enough.
DodgeRover

Re: A lucky* Ford Escape - a running (nothing to) report.

Post by DodgeRover »

This hit 140,000 miles yesterday.
Need to service it and replace roll bar bushes.
Also requires a tyre I need to order sharpish.
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

More gratuitous interior shots, these are cracking cars it would seem. I had a diesel ford one for about 3 weeks back in 1998. Was a wobbly thing compared to the Mondeo I got out of.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Will need to muck it out first, it's looking a little lived in at the moment.