Ford Escape - running report

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: A lucky* Ford Escape - a running (nothing to) report.

Post by DodgeRover »

Trying to sort out the running issue on this. Trying everything before admitting it probably is a coil pack and stripping off the inlet manifold.

I couldn't get any enthusiasm to work on it myself a couple of weeks ago so had a mate fit plugs, a new bottom arm and pads.
Came back with a noise from the front, sounded like there was a bit of rust catching the pads, went to pull the wheel of and 3 of the 5 studs are only just past finger tight. Oh well at least that was an easy fix.
Sprayed some carb cleaner round the manifold when it's running to check for air leaks but there nothing obvious. Noticed when it's running if you rev it there was an of noise from the air filter area, almost as it if were collapsing a pipe by sucking in a vacuum, took the filter out and it's clean still and I couldn't spot any obstruction in the inlet pipework. Put it back together and it's stopped the noise!
Took the throttle body off for a good cleaning as I had cleaned the ICV already.
I would say it was in need.
IMG_20220210_095938_8.jpg
IMG_20220210_095938_8.jpg (726.69 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
Seems a bit better now but I won't know until it's done cold again.
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

DodgeRover wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:51 am Trying to sort out the running issue on this. Trying everything before admitting it probably is a coil pack and stripping off the inlet manifold.

I couldn't get any enthusiasm to work on it myself a couple of weeks ago so had a mate fit plugs, a new bottom arm and pads.
Came back with a noise from the front, sounded like there was a bit of rust catching the pads, went to pull the wheel of and 3 of the 5 studs are only just past finger tight
So he found out about you shagging his missus then?

Ben
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Went to start it and it rewarded me by having a flat battery. I jumped it and it's a definate improvement but still not right. I think all the stop start faffing must have run it down as it's showing 14+v when running although when I hooked it up to the charger it was only taking 1amp which is just odd.

I've got a generic ELM thing with a usb cable that I've never used, will these work with forscan as I don't fancy installing the software it came with.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

BenHar wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:33 pm
DodgeRover wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:51 am Trying to sort out the running issue on this. Trying everything before admitting it probably is a coil pack and stripping off the inlet manifold.

Came back with a noise from the front, sounded like there was a bit of rust catching the pads, went to pull the wheel of and 3 of the 5 studs are only just past finger tight
So he found out about you shagging his missus then?

Ben
If I had I doubt anybody would have found my body...
DodgeRover

Re: A lucky* Ford Escape - Parts Darts :(

Post by DodgeRover »

Had the rear bank ignition coils changed. FOC thanks to the mate who changed the plugs, I owe you next time something wooden needs making or fixing!
Starting/ running definately improved but idle is still stumbling and lumpy at idle.
A check of all vac hoses has not shown any leaks but servo assistance is still dropping off on first start of the day.
Consulting the owners forum for the equivalent US version suggests the TPS and IACV (despite it being cleaned) as it doesn't do the high speed tickover from cold (never has particularly) that I remember from our previous Maverick.
Rock Auto order placed along with 3 more ignition coils for the front bank while I'm at it. £5 each plus tax and shipping - the ones i got here were £20+ VAT, changing the rear bank has made a definate difference so I'm hoping for a further improvement over the ones fitted.

Hopefully one of these will sort it. Going to block the vacuum hose to the servo and see if it makes any difference to the idle myself although it was tried already.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

First part of the order from Rock Auto arrived today
Looks American as Apple pie etc
IMG_20220225_102235_1.jpg
IMG_20220225_102235_1.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 1068 times
Note on invoice made in China!

Did get a nice fridge magnet though.
DodgeRover

Re: A lucky* Ford Escape - fault chasing :(

Post by DodgeRover »

New coil packs fitted to front bank. Once again it's a slight improvement but it's not fixed it. I'm now sure I can hear a vacuum leak hissing somewhere in addition to the normal intake noise, this would tally with the servo taking a long time to build vacuum. Been round with the WD-40 on the joints and connections but I don't seem to be able to find anything. Going to try with a bit of tube to my ear to try and localise where it's coming from.
Clamping the vacuum hose to the brake service made no difference so that rules the servo itself out I guess.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Have you googled to see if it's a common fail?
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

The forums suggest everywhere there can possibly be a leak....
Going to take the vacuum pipes of one at a time later and block the manifold where they go in to see if any of them make a difference
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Been out and I can definately hear a whistle when pulling from low throttle, even with my tinnitus, son confirms he can hear it too.