Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
8BAK465

Re: Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Post by 8BAK465 »

Small update

Today the little shit is on Vacation again at my Tame Mechanic's place,he seems to like it over there :roll:

He is always too keen to go back :lol:

After the Carb ReJetting tailpipe soot had gone 100% which is great but there are now some starting problems and the ocasional "im going to die threats at the lights :( "

I think the jet sizes are now spot on as with throttle its nice but in D at lights it wants to die so if im at stop for any length of time im into N.

Apart from that It thumps like mad into Drive and sometimes shakes like Chubby Checker in reverse :shock:

So today my TM is removing the driveshaft and I think probably replacing the UJ's unless of course those on there are perfect which I doubt..............................

Other news is the Transmission is now shifting very odd :x

Hoping its nothing serious but theres a delay,again my be prop related?

All the gears are there just rough shifting.

Before it went on Hollybobs I took it shopping Via a 20 mile run to nicely warm up the ATF when I parked up I was approaced by a "Malcolm" you know the sort? Who was perplexed I was using it as a car :lol:
He asked if I had another car? So Sam wound him up saying yes a Mustang :lol:
He was really having a brain fart at us using old Merican Iron as a shopping car in the UK !

Meanwhile back at the Ranch checked the ATF but it was inconclusive?

I hate checking ATF it almost never reads right but anyway it was smeared up just one edge of the dipstick rarther than all over it but appeared to read past full :?

My TM suggested theres a weep hole and it would spew out overfill ?

That said when we got home yesterday we spotted ATF where it had been parked :cry:

Not much mind so not panicking yet...................................

Also on the interior trim front finding it near impossible to find a decent match as almost every panel has faded and non of them match I decided to see if I can match it to the seat vinyl?

So I took the back off the seat and harvested some hidden seat vinyl thats been hidden for 44 years :o

Carefully cut out with round ended scissors

Nobody will ever see this with the seat back on

Voila! My pocket colour sample :mrgreen:

Im not surprized but it no longer matches the colour of the vinyl thats on the seat faces that have seen 44 years of UV :roll:

But that patch I am going to try and use to get a match or something in the ballpark I can paint the interior plastics with..................
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

At least the ATF looks nice & clean.
Private signature, do not read
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Hooli wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:29 am At least the ATF looks nice & clean.
Yeh smell right too

Hoping its something and nothing?

When I lost Drive a little while ago vacuum pipe had come off the modulator I really think I should of replaced it with new pipe? But TM just Ziptied it back on :lol:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I've had vacuum pipes cable tied on for years, it works fine.
Private signature, do not read
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Too much ATF would explain the hard shifting. Did you follow the correct procedure when checking it?
Also, check the vacuum pipe of the tranny guv'nor.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

That's another thing that puts me at unease. No contamination whatsoever could mean it's not pumped around as it should.
It's not that big of a deal really, should there be something wrong with that box, replacements are a dime a dozen.
Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Junkman wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:37 pm Too much ATF would explain the hard shifting. Did you follow the correct procedure when checking it?
Also, check the vacuum pipe of the tranny guv'nor.
Drove about 20 miles Tranny was nice and toastie as no carpet at the mo I can feel it :lol:

Then checked it running in N it just kept showing that same level :roll:

I think TM is going to check it all out,thing that makes no sense is if there is too much ATF I havnt topped it off and its only got the same amount it had when it got here :?

I suppose some of it could be condensation water as it has gone through a winter of much freezeness.............................

8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Junkman wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:40 pm
That's another thing that puts me at unease. No contamination whatsoever could mean it's not pumped around as it should.
It's not that big of a deal really, should there be something wrong with that box, replacements are a dime a dozen.
Yeh spotted a place doing rebuilt units for around £700 plus there was another on Fleabay for a couple of hundred to take a chance on.....................

I know the Motor was replaced as a Long Block in 2016 but the vendor admitted the tranny was the factory one and it shifted ok so he hadnt done anything to it

So that means Tranny is 44 years old as are the UJ's etc I think next thing is ill start replacing things like ball joints,Track Rod Ends etc as I have a big treasure trove of new stuff
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

I think I can rebuild that box blindfolded. Literally.
Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Junkman wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:56 pm I think I can rebuild that box blindfolded. Literally.
:o :shock:

The box that was in my SN95 had been rebuilt it was based on the C4 but was he later electronic version with overdrive it was silky silky smooth.

It was Alders Automotive that rebuilt that,cost was to the previous owner not me thankfully!

Id trust them with my arm but I fear they would want my leg too!

They charge around £1400 :cry:

Theres a place advertising on Fleabay £700 but they dont say where they are :roll:

After a bit of searching I found these who are a tangeable address

https://www.americanautomatics.co.uk

Hoping my TM can sort it and if i get this year out of it Ill get it rebuilt anyway next ;)