Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
8BAK465

Re: Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Post by 8BAK465 »

My task if i choose to except?
Bit far in now :lol:
Pull out HVAC box today and try to figure out how to operate it without vacuum?

Here's a photo my mate took of his out and apart,The Evaporator is missing from the photo as will mine also be ;)

Now this is the beast in diagram form,bear in mind with AC fitted for some functions have to have multiple blend doors operate at the same time which without AC that's not needed you just open up whichever blend door is needed at that time.

This diagram is looking at the box in the photo as the top half of the box in the top right of the photo
the bottom half of the box in the bottom left is turned around 360% if that makes sense?

And here is the funhouse that is the existing vacuum hose mess just to open a few bloody doors that could be cable operated!

I am not the only one that thought the Ford solution was like Billy Smarts Flying Circus as even Hodec engineering who converted these to RHD back in the day threw away the Vacuum malarkey and had two extra boden cables under the dash to operate the extra doors the AC had :roll:

as shown here in my mates RHD car as the pull control just above hood release ;)
There was one each side of dash and fords non AC cars had them anyhow the vacuum mess was for user ease but 45 years later is a fecking nightmare of multiple vacuum leaks :shock:

Will add more one the fecking Behemoth is out from under the dash!

Stay Tooned!
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Looks fun*
Private signature, do not read
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Hooli wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:44 amLooks fun*
Quite!

In a masochistic way! :roll:

:lol:

The one thing I haven't figure out yet is how to control the under hood heater valve?

That's vacuum too :twisted:

I don't want an extra lever and cable so banking on the temp lever having two cables one pulling open the valve when it reaches a certain point ;)

First things first though i want to get the box out of the car,there's two add of sections one is the door to allow fresh air from the cowl vents that will be operated from an extra under dash cable on the passengers side its two position either open or closed so that's simple enough and another extra section is the windscreen defroster/face vents to switch between them will also be operated by an under dash on the drivers side

The temp blend door uses the same cable on non AC controls ive just got to make the function door cable on non AC controls work the previously vacuum controlled door :?

with me so far?

:lol:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

As far as the under bonnet valve goes, you'd probably get away with removing it or locking it open. Most modern HAVC sysetms always run the heater matrix hot & rely on the flaps etc to keep the heat away from the airflow when not needed.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Hooli wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:17 am As far as the under bonnet valve goes, you'd probably get away with removing it or locking it open. Most modern HAVC sysetms always run the heater matrix hot & rely on the flaps etc to keep the heat away from the airflow when not needed.
Not sure it would work on this the quality of Ford workmanship deems that most airflow leaks out before it reaches the vents :lol:
Would fry me on a hot day :roll:
Still not got the box out :cry:
Stripped all the vents and outlets off it and Haynes say it should just pull out now from underneath the dash :roll:
Does it Bollox! :twisted:
Guess the dash is coming out again :roll:
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Day Two (yestterday) of heater box removal

And so it continues!
Last time the dash was out it was to plastic weld repair it!
I now have a much better replacement dash but now the prize is getting the heater box out!
Last time I removed the dash loom from the dash and left if in the car and it was a nightmare to fit back around the Dash 😞

This time is l have since found out you can disconnect the dash loom from the rest of the loom and pull the dash with it attached so I’m doing that this time 🤔

Then find I have to remove the longest bolt in the world in order the disconnect from loom with another hand spanner because my ratchet and socket won’t fit between firewall and the back of one of the heads!
Thank you very much Ford!

All just to get this sodding heater box out!

While the dash is out I plan to remove the interior firewall sound deadening and sand and paint it with red oxide zinc and then oil based paint before replacing the sound deadening with a newer alternative 🙂
What a job!

Safety first disconnect battery,

Drop Column,Can’t find right imperial socket to take dash out so it’s snail pace hand spanner 🔧 🤬

Several hours later I woke up :lol:

So that's all the dash loom plugs disconnected and dash bolts out so tomorrow (which is today now) I can lift that out and get the prize :mrgreen:

Or Can I?
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

So three days sweat tears and it drew blood 🩸
Yesterday I went around freeing off all the dash loom plugs after 45 years
Or so I thought?
This morning I found another three plugs I missed 🤬

And one particularly vicious one which the securing tab flew off and in bedded itself in my finger :twisted:

Finally pulled the dash along with its loom and several cracked plugs 😞
Ford plastics and the west coast sun don’t mix 😥

But eventually I have the prize!

At last it can be pulled free :mrgreen:

There was some minimal coolant leakage from the heater core but can live with that 😀

Best thing is the legroom now 🤣

I can also now reach into the engine bay from the passenger compartment and check my ATF level without getting out of the car 🤣

Not doing any more today but the major stuff is now done 🙂
Next it’s prepare treat and paint the internal firewall 🙂
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Stripping my interior firewall sound deadening out and I find this 😞
Appears to be two cracks in the bulkhead in the Same area.
This pic is from passenger side

This is from drivers side looks much worse from this angle 😞

The smallest crack appears to have brass braze around it like it happened at the factory and they tried to cover it up?
Second crack no attempt.
This was behind the firewall deadening so could of happened last week last month last year who knows?
Has anybody seen this before?
Can’t work out where it is but if I didn’t know better I’d say a bellhousing bolt was the culprit as it seems to be pushed out near the larger crack 🤔
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Didn't you say it'd be drag raced in the past? I know on Astras & the like cracked bulkheads where common from the extra strains they got subjected too when used like that. I'd assume it's common to all monocoque cars that the bulkhead takes a lot of the loads.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Hooli wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:43 pm Didn't you say it'd be drag raced in the past? I know on Astras & the like cracked bulkheads where common from the extra strains they got subjected too when used like that. I'd assume it's common to all monocoque cars that the bulkhead takes a lot of the loads.
Yes it was,it was never really fully race prepped but out there they just drag anything. I think that's why practically noting worked on it as it was just trailered to the strip each weekend.
some may say i saved the ungrateful shite :lol: