NEED 2 KNOW - importing cars post-glorious independence

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
captain_cal

NEED 2 KNOW - importing cars post-glorious independence

Post by captain_cal »

How does importing cars work now?

The vehicle in question will be arriving from Holland on a trailer - is it just a case of get it home, then send off the customs paperwork? My old man is flapping because he thinks his beloved truck will be impounded at the docks and never seen again - I think he's being an idiot but can someone confirm?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: NEED 2 KNOW - importing cars post-glorious independence

Post by Hooli »

Sounds like one for Parnhard to answer.
Private signature, do not read
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I believe you just fill in the Nova form online after import these days, unless there's a stash of hash hidden on the trailer they aren't going to impound anything. Probably worth checking the hoops you need to jump through with PCR tests etc to get into Holland then back into England.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Ok I have only brought one over since Brexit and the transporter is supposed to do all the paperwork, but if they don't do it they can still bring the car over and deliver it. Once it is here contact the CARS team at HMRC with mine they asked me to email copies on the registration paperwork (carte gris or whatever) and a bill of sale showing how much you paid. They will tell you what vat code it comes under and any other forms that have to be filled in. Pretty much all of it can be done on line. Once they have all the documents they will email back with a figure for the duty payable and you just ring up and pay over the phone. Cars over 30 years old come under antiques and it's just 5%. Newer stuff gets hit with 10% duty then 20% vat so not worth it really. I probably have blank copies of all the forms on my other computer if you want them. The bill of sale can be hand written it just needs details of the car and a date of sale along with price paid, don't take the piss with the price though as they might start looking if you say your Porsche 911 cost a grand. The CARS team are really helpful and easy to deal with, they make it sound so simple. The proper transporters charge stupid money to do the paperwork which isn't hard at all, I wish I could of done my cars for America myself as they charged 90 quid each to do it.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I just noticed you say it is your dads own vehicle rather than a new purchase. Again contact the cars team as personal transport will have no tax on it if you have owned it over a certain length of time.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

panhard65 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:34 pm personal transport will have no tax on it if you have owned it over a certain length of time.
It's not how long you've owned it for, if it qualifies under "Transfer of Residence" it can escape tax. That has strictly speaking has residency and use conditions, not just ownership.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transfer-of ... at-britain

I don't know how thorough they are checking these things in practice though.
captain_cal

Post by captain_cal »

Thanks, by "beloved" I meant "sold years ago and was soft enough to buy back" so it won't come under personal tax relief as currently belongs to some Dutch fella.

Transporter is just a man with trailer so if it's easy enough to email the CARS lot then I will just do myself.