My slightly knackered old cars

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Uncle Albert

Re: My slightly knackered old cars

Post by Uncle Albert »

Excellent stuff, always enjoyed reading about your fleet and adventures on the other channel.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

That's a great collection of shite and not so shite cars. I love the merc so if it's ever for sale give me a shout please.

Those brats are becoming very pricey when sorted so well worth trying to fix up the beige one.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Always admire your dedication to the cause. An amazing collection.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

A couple of days after selling the Knobvan in May 2018

ImageRJC_1166 by srblythe, on Flickr

I spotted a 305 GR with 1.6 petrol engine for sale at a local classic auction.

ImageRJC_1185 by srblythe, on Flickr

ImageRJC_1184 by srblythe, on Flickr

ImageRJC_1188 by srblythe, on Flickr

I went up for a look at it, it seemed to drive fine so I made a bid on it. I think it ended up costing me around £425 with fees.

It was owned by an old giffer in Forfar and had been in regular use until he died and his family put it into the auction.

ImageRJC_1338 by srblythe, on Flickr

It required a small amount of welding to get it through a test.

ImageRJC_1344 by srblythe, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0046 by srblythe, on Flickr

Lately it's developed an issue with the brake regulator on the rear axle causing the rear brakes to lock up under heavy breaking, I bought a new compensator/regulator but haven't had the chance to fit it yet. Other than that the car drives really nicely and the petrol engine makes a nice change to the clattery old xud I have in my other 305 estate.

Talking of clattery old 305 diesels, I also have this.

ImageRJC_0748 by srblythe, on Flickr

ImageRJC_1297 by srblythe, on Flickr

ImageRJC_0712 by srblythe, on Flickr

I made the mistake of prodding the rear arches.

ImageRJC_5001 by srblythe, on Flickr

ImageRJC_5978 by srblythe, on Flickr

I've made a start on this side but still have loads of awkward shapes to try making, I used an offcut from a 305 I'd previously broken but the rest of the arch I'm not particularly happy with so I'm thinking about ripping it out and starting again.
On the knobvan I used Volvo 340 wheel arches because I had a pair lying around, now I'm actively looking for any cheap generic rear arches which look similar to the 305's as replacement 305 arches seem to be non existent. Another idea I'm thinking about is chopping some 305 front wings to make rear arches out of but it does seem like a bit of a waste of a wing if I do that.
I really need to find some time, motivation and enthusiasm for the 305's.
RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

I think I've had this Volvo 360 GLT for quite long.

ImageRJC_7845 by srblythe, on Flickr

Since July 2014 to be precise!

ImageDSC_1156 by srblythe, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1214 by srblythe, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1219 by srblythe, on Flickr

It's been off the road for a number of years, I reckon with a weekends worth of welding on the inner/outer sills and jacking points could see it through a test. I've made a few attempts over the years to get rid of it but it's my Mrs first car since passing her test and she would rather let it rust away with the vague intention of maybe fixing it some day rather than let someone else have it and ruin it.
It's worth more in sentimental value than anything else, she admits that it's a bit shit and she didn't like driving it all that much but still looks at it and thinks it's cool as fuck!

It still starts, goes and stops fine.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I do like a Brat.
Private signature, do not read
RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

ImageDSC_0422 by srblythe, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0424 by srblythe, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0440 by srblythe, on Flickr

Here's another one I've had for a while. I bought it for £350 in September 2017. Replaced the brake calipers and lines all round, welded a rear arch, sill ends, jacking points and most of the drivers floor and got it through a test.
I used it regularly over winter until it died a year later.
I wasted a bit of time and money replacing parts of the fuel system until I discovered the relay was knackered.
I picked up a cheap second hand relay - new ones are quite expensive, I fitted the relay and the car started up and seemed to be back to normal.
I drove it for over 200 miles without any issues until one day it died with the same issue as before. Bridging pins 30 and 87 on the pump relay makes the car run fine so I'm tempted to just fit a switch and my own relay instead of trying to actually work out what the real problem is and how to fix it properly.
RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

ImageRJC_7853 by srblythe, on Flickr

Here's the newest thing I have, a 2004 Ford Ranger, 2.5 td RWD single cab pickup.

Really it just gets used for lugging stuff around, occasional A-framing etc.

This is how it looked when I got it in June last year.

ImageDSC_0851 by srblythe, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0850 by srblythe, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0849 by srblythe, on Flickr

I would like to have a go at respraying it in a decent colour and actually putting some effort into it but for now I'l settle for this.

ImageRJC_7868 by srblythe, on Flickr
RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

Drum wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:52 pm That's a great collection of shite and not so shite cars. I love the merc so if it's ever for sale give me a shout please.

Those brats are becoming very pricey when sorted so well worth trying to fix up the beige one.
I imagine the Merc might come up for sale shortly, My Mrs bought it as an impulse buy after selling her 190E and fancying another Mercedes. She didn't realise when people said that these were slow that they are actually incredibly fucking slow, I think a smiley transit recovery truck might go a bit faster.
RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

John F wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:37 pm You've got some some absolute belters there, mate.

I hope you do manage to get the beige Brat back on the road.
Cheers, the beige brat does actually run but has no brakes so I haven't driven it far.