Dellorto Carb help on the Caterham

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Broccoli

Re: Dellorto Carb help on the Caterham

Post by Broccoli »

SiC wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:01 am You right now
Untitled.png

Mrs SiC said to me that she hopes the Civic we are buying isn't another car that will need to visit the local garage shortly after buying. :oops:
Ha ha ha. So true! :lol:

Fingers crossed for your purchase. I guess the difference is, if the Caterham never started, I would be bloody annoyed, but as a toy car, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. With an everyday car, you really do need them to be as reliable as possible!
Good luck. 8-)
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

I ran my kit car every day for a number of years. Apart from snapping clutch, throttle cables and the odd cycle wing bracket it was pretty reliable overall. I did thousands of miles in it, some of them very cold (no heater) and very sideways (they don't like snow much)

All that can be forgiven in the summer with the doors off blatting around the countryside :mrgreen:

Post by Guest »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:35 pm I ran my kit car every day for a number of years. Apart from snapping clutch, throttle cables and the odd cycle wing bracket it was pretty reliable overall. I did thousands of miles in it, some of them very cold (no heater) and very sideways (they don't like snow much)

All that can be forgiven in the summer with the doors off blatting around the countryside :mrgreen:
My Lotus 7 was my only car for a while, yes cold, wet, sideways and had to go around tightening things up all the time. The journeys to and from work were always the highlight of my day.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Guest wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:28 pm
Scruffy Bodger wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:35 pm I ran my kit car every day for a number of years. Apart from snapping clutch, throttle cables and the odd cycle wing bracket it was pretty reliable overall. I did thousands of miles in it, some of them very cold (no heater) and very sideways (they don't like snow much)

My Lotus 7 was my only car for a while, yes cold, wet, sideways and had to go around tightening things up all the time. The journeys to and from work were always the highlight of my day.
Lucky boy :-) Mine was a cheapo Vindicator from Halesowen built originally by a tight arse accountant on a shoe string. I'd have loved a proper one but it was still my cheapest way of half decent performance*/acceleration. 1900 quid in about 1996, the most expensive car I've ever bought :shock: :lol:

I had great times in mine and a lovely, leggy, blonde seat cover I was smitten with too. Cost me a fucking fortune in fuel because of a heavy right foot but as you say it brightened up the commute :mrgreen:
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

When I lived in Hythe, Kent about a million years ago, I had a Westfield Pre-litigation as my daily.
Luckily I only lived a 1 1/2 mile walk from work or 2 mile drive.

Lived with it for around a year and a half like that, before getting fed-up driving in the rain with a towel on my lap.

Here’s a picture of her with my Dad at the wheel.
4171DED0-CE14-4A4A-918F-803F6E9E2FBB.png
4171DED0-CE14-4A4A-918F-803F6E9E2FBB.png (3.5 MiB) Viewed 1195 times
He was never a car person, but for some reason, I offered to take him out in it one day and he even agreed to drive. One of those Dad and son bonding days I’ll never forget. :D
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

912 is coming tomorrow, so all I’ve had time to do today, was to try and find a new place to store the Caterham.

It’s been -20F again here for a few days. Warmed up to +20F today but Is going to drop back tomorrow and next week. If one thing is going to kill off the WReX prematurely, it’s being outside in that overnight and trying to start it every morning.

Soooo today’s little job…
2D599013-4587-4E47-8E72-BAFB1970714E.jpeg
2D599013-4587-4E47-8E72-BAFB1970714E.jpeg (831.9 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
It actually fits in my work area! :lol:

Come the spring, I’ll be selling one of the toy cars and probably buying a WReX replacement.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Sack those carbs off and fit an SU.
Zero trouble then.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Seeing a - in front of Fahrenheit looks really weird to me.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Broccoli wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:09 am If one thing is going to kill off the WReX prematurely, it’s being outside in that overnight and trying to start it every morning.
Are your cars plugged in overnight?
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Looking at the manifold, has the engine got any trick bits inside it to match or is it just massively over-carbed? (pretty apt now it's in America)