1968 MG Midget

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: 1968 MG Midget

Post by SiC »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:33 pm
The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:28 pm It's time to start boxing clever on these shitters you keep buying. Every single one is a welding nightmare.
Shhhh!

I'm waiting for him to do nearly all the hard work on one I like.
If I'm repairing something fibreglass it's only going to be a Lotus or TVR. Reliants especially don't do it for me! I want to like even the Scimitar but just struggle to...
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Dug out old faithful with the wire wheel semi permanently attached

And made a right mess removing paint and underseal from the arch.

Another patchfest but even more this time. I started peeling them off with a screwdriver again.

Yesterday evening I fitted the cutting disc and removed everything that was not factory.

The line of old "weld" is where the patch was upto. Not quite sure why they made it so big really.

Went a bit too deep in places. This should be easy enough to run a bead along. Nice thick steel and easy to work with.

With the mess pile filling up.

While it's a bit annoying having to do this, it's actually in really good condition under these patches. I'll be putting new patches back on but much smaller ones with very little overlap. Also try making the big hole where the hood goes, to one that is fitting the curvature of the arch better with less gap. Basically smashing the hell into a metal plate until it fits.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Why do you have to over lap and not butt join? Does it make a stronger weld?
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

This needs to be a keeper after all this. :lol:
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

paulplom wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:59 am Why do you have to over lap and not butt join? Does it make a stronger weld?
Proper overlap should be welded both sides. Welding one is a bit of a bodge but obviously can't get access on the inside for most of it. I could on this patch so I welded both sides.
PXL_20220715_214252846.jpg
PXL_20220715_214252846.jpg (582.18 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Butt joint you can grind back and make it invisible. But you need to make the panel the exact size. Also more tricky welding as you can easily end up melting too much off the edge and making a big hole.

The patches I've taken off are overlap on one side. But if you look, it hasn't actually caused it rust as the paint was left.

It really should have the complete arch panel replaced but that's way more work and cost. Would look better but it's not visible anyway. However if you cut enough off, like that outer panel I removed, it's easier+quicker to put on a complete panel than repairing existing. Especially when panels on this are cheap.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:14 am This needs to be a keeper after all this. :lol:
Tomorrow will be 5 years since I bought my MGB. I think that's just about makes it the longest I've ever owned a car. Probably longer than many expected me to keep it for.

I bought this with the intention as being a keeper. Hence why I bought this big bumper that I prefer rather than the more plentiful slim bumpers.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Or course while no intention of selling it, if someone did wave a decent amount of money under my nose, I'd find it hard to say no...

(Or more likely, I need to sell for ready cash to fund some more IVF cycles...)
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

SiC wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:30 pm Or course while no intention of selling it, if someone did wave a decent amount of money under my nose, I'd find it hard to say no...

(Or more likely, I need to sell for ready cash to fund some more IVF cycles...)
That's why it's worth getting a decent paint job done. There may even be a profit which is always good. A car that is documented to be sound and not a bogged up shitter should be an easy sell.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

🎵A patch a day keeps the scrap man at bay 🎵

Getting back on this after a short break. Options are to replace the arch with a complete new panel or repair what I have. Cutting the arch out is a massive job as a lot is attached to it.

I'm using individual patches as easier to shape and contour than one big patch. Some is butt welded, some overlap. I can get to both sides when overlapping so there should be no rust risk by doing this.

Welds didn't turn out that nice as I hoped. Turned out that I was kneeling on the torch cable. At least I'm going to use that as my excuse.

Pre-cleaning up to metal

Side

Arch.

This actually now matches the contour of the arch and so won't need a heap of filler. Tbh I probably will mostly clean up the welds and not even filler. The carpet will be covering this on the inside.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Are you keeping tally of the hours you're putting in? It would be interesting to see how much you've saved as opposed to getting a garage to do the work.