1968 MG Midget

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: 1968 MG Midget

Post by SiC »

TR7/TR8 don't float my boat at all. If it was a TR, it'd be a TR6.

Likely next projects are Spitfire/GT6, Mini MK1/2/3 or Frogeye.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I need to make a decision on if I'm going reversing lights or not as I have to order the panels up :?

Reversing lights for originality
Clean look for a better look

Both panels cost the same and fit the same. Reversing light panel has holes for number plate, etc and so don't need to worry about drilling them. However it does have extra holes for the later bumpers that will need welding up. No reversing light panel has no holes at all, so will need to drill everything into place.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I'd fit them, if for no other reason then when you sell it nearly completed people won't try to knock the price down to get them added.
Private signature, do not read
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Get the plain panel. You could always cut the light holes in at a later date if you change your mind.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Plus if you find the fucking car is still out of line it won't have wonky eyes like that kid at school all the girls thought was staring at them.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

One thing that is swaying me towards the panel with the reversing lamps after seeing it on Moss at a different angle, is that the panel without it, is essentially the same but without the holes. In that what British Motor Heritage have done is use the same tool but just not stamped out the holes.
This means there are depressions left where the reversing lights should go.

While I can fill that with filler reasonably easily, it still doesn't give much less work. Also it's a bit crap and annoying.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Get the holey panel. It'll save you poking holes in it :lol: if they are already there.
christine

Post by christine »

Sic , have you seen the yellow Hemi Healey Sprite on youtube ? Nicole Johnson..
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

christine wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:33 pm Sic , have you seen the yellow Hemi Healey Sprite on youtube ? Nicole Johnson..
I saw the post talking about the build on FB and seen the video recommendations on YouTube, but not got around to watching it yet. Iirc it's a bunch of corvette bits on a properly engineered frame chassis with a Frogeye Sprite body plonked on top.

Pretty cool. I like the comment "No wonder why it's got such a big smile"
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Not had any spare time recently to get on further. A big box arrived yesterday though.

Which meant I finally did decide on which panel to get. I went for the one without holes for the simple reason that after a lot of comparison I realised the big holes for the bumper on the later car is wrong for the earlier. So I'd been making even more holes in it anyway. Haven't made a decision on whether I'm fitting reversing lights. That can wait till it's fitted.

Let's not add up what I spent. Could have got a new Google Pixel 6a to replace my Pixel 5 with its smashed camera lenses according to the email I got yesterday.

Last night I was scraping off paint and underseal. Found more panels badly welded on. The ones closing up the box section behind the seats. My go to method of finding if a panel is original or later is simply by scraping off the top layer of the paint. If I find primrose yellow (factory colour of the car) or primer red, then I know it's decent.