1968 MG Midget

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: 1968 MG Midget

Post by SiC »

PhilA wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:19 pm That's the off-road version.
They are quite popular for that application

https://www.morrisminorforum.com/regist ... RHD.13515/
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

PhilA wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:19 pm That's the off-road version.

When is beyond tilt limit, it leaks to warn you
I've had passengers that did the same offroad..
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Could it be an accumulation over time that has made a bid for freedom when the back is jacked up?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The reason I tidied the garage the other day was because I was having my garage door curtain replaced. Long story but basically the company fitted the wrong size. The fitters didn't think to measure before putting the door up. Almost all sorted, but they didn't have a replacement box cover lid. It's annoying but I haven't paid the full bill yet as they're not finished. So had a few months interest free buy-now-pay-later.

Part of this tidy up meant pushing both cars out. Once they'd gone, the Dolomite was pushed back in and back to being reused as an expensive storage cupboard.

I decided to reverse the Midget in and at an angle. This has given me a fair bit of room without being at the front of the garage. So I can weld with the door open when it's hot and don't have to worry about giving arc eye to passers by

Stripped the backend off of lights.
Fixed the taillight reflector. Good ol' Uhu Por did the trick on this. A bit less solvent (or none??) than standard UHU, so shouldn't melt the plastic.

Then started poking again to assess what needs doing. As the photos on the last post and here, it's pretty much as I expected. Essentially the same job on the nearside.

This wing is not really bad from first glance. I'm hoping it can be saved. No doubt it's been brazed. Bottom half I have a repair panel, so should be repairable.

Also note the green screwdriver angle here. Basically it's been double skinned.

With that, I knew I would have to take all the paint off and sort out what's underneath. Fully aware that it's going to have a shit ton of filler.

Removed the boot lid as gives me full access.

Also pulled the wiring loom out as I don't want to accidentally cut or burn it later. It's covered in blue electrical tape. Not sure why, so may have to pull that off later to investigate.

Without further ado, it was time to mask up and get on with it.

4 and half (i.e. a half used one) abrasive discs and an hour & half later

There was filler absolutely everywhere. I did intend to get a dust catcher for the grinder on this job. Except I forgot to order it. Just had a big fan blowing it out/making a mess everywhere.
Next project I think I'm going to strip down and see about media blasting it. Absolutely hate filler dust. Gets into everything and everywhere.

Thick dust everywhere that was actually quite satisfying to hoover up.

So what's the verdict?

Wing braised on but very little rust apart from the bottom quarter. Debating whether to cut off the wing and clean up underneath. Or slit the overlap at the top of the panel and just reweld in place.

Its arse is in a very sorry state though.

This has had a repair panel on at some point. My suspicion is that it's been cut from another car. There are extra holes in the panel that have been lead loaded. First time I've seen lead loading on this car. Perhaps it was their first time too and an experiment?

Out with the trust screwdriver got those welds popping off again.

Yes it's double skinned.

I'm going to have to chop that out and see what is going on under there. I suspect I will need to brace the boot area given I'm going to be potentially removing the wing too. Or I'll sort the wing first and then this.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Kudos for such dusty progress in this heat......
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Weather was a bearable 29c in the garage today. Too hot for welding but cool enough for some simpler jobs.

First was looking at the door lock. The passenger side works fine but the drivers side only locks, not unlocks. I stripped out the mechanism and had a look. Couldn't see anything obviously wrong.

Putting it back in to have a better look showed that turning the key doesn't give a full throw on the actuator movement. This is going from a unlock to lock to unlock by turning the key on the other side. You can see that it only goes out about half way. Not enough to unlock the door again.

Pushing the actuator arm inside the door showed it could do full movement. Just that the lock is so worn that it can't. So basically a new lock barrel is needed.

Then took the door off. Interestingly this produced shims. These look like something decently made with a slight angle on them. Possibly factory? No idea if they did that in the factory.
Possibly not as this door was held on by bolts rather than screws like it should be.
I might try without these shims as the door sticks out very crooked.

Next up was to look at the rear wing. I decided to do this before the rear panel as even though it's in poor shape, that rear panel is strong enough to stay in place to provide a reference point for this wing.
I'll probably have to put a brace across the boot opening when I do the rear panel to keep things aligned.

Anyway this looks like a repeat of the other side, because it is. More poor welds that were mostly removed with a twist of a screwdriver.
Started with slicing the top of the panel. These welds actually mostly held. Just not welded all the way along and I didn't want to damage the upper panel.
Arch required a few slight cuts.

I had hope to save that outer panel. But like the other side, it's going to be quicker and easier to just replace it. Except apart from the bottom wing area, it is in quite good condition. Possibly keep it for something else that may have poorer panel support.

Not quite sure what happened when they welded this bit. Looks like they shut their eye every time they struck an arc. Ironically these actually are the stronger welds. That's not saying much though...

Which was mostly ripped off by hand. Zero attempts at welds at the top of this either.

Like the other side, this piece here is completely wrong. I smashed it out with a hammer on the backside and then cut a tiny bit that was actually welded.

This mess was what remained. It'll need a clean up with a wire wheel next. I might have to invest in a new wheel, I've nearly worn mine out! I do have the abrasive foam type discs which work well but wear much quicker. The wire wheels are a similar price but last far longer. More vibration though and my hands are telling me they are getting annoyed with all the vibrations.

So it looks like I need to order some more panels again tonight. Side panel, arch repair and rear panel are the ones I think I need. Debating whether to just order replacement A-pillar panels while I'm at it. They look okay on this side but there is a lot of filler that could be hiding a right mess. I.e. once attacked with a wire wheel, I'm sure it'll make holes.
Bottom sill needs a much bigger repair this side. However it's on the back of the sill under the b-pillar and not on the curved bit. So I think I can get away with just a patch. Really don't want to go down the route of cutting the sill off as on a convertible it can easily make things bend where you don't want them to.

Someone on a Spridget Facebook group I'm on pointed out that flat bit on the rear valance (above the exhaust) is completely wrong for a Spridget. Way too wide and the curve is in the wrong place. No wonder they sculpted the back end in filler. A new rear panel should give me something to work with under the lights too.

Hey ho, off to spend more money I go.
Still seriously thinking of stripping it completely and getting it media blasted.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I wouldn't unless you are planning on doing an absolutely full restoration, just think of the shock of sending that shell off expecting a few localised repairs then finding that lot?
The shock of suddenly funding you need to replace virtually every panel would probably kill the enjoyment of the project.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

But that's what always happens & he then piles stuff up on top of it & buys a car he'll 'drive as it is'.
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I'm still waiting for a TR8 to appear as the next project...
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

DodgeRover wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:02 pm The shock of suddenly funding you need to replace virtually every panel would probably kill the enjoyment of the project.
I don't think there is much left in the shell that I haven't touched! These midgets very simple structures.

Would be good to get all the old paint off though for it to be painted. The bonnet looks like it'll be the most fun* to clean off. I suppose I could do that in the garden though. Front Wings are far more fragile and I don't think will last an attack with a wire wheel.

As I keep saying, this is a joy to work on and repair.