Ask a Wobber

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Junkman

Re: Ask a Wobber

Post by Junkman »

Why would you not buy the parts in the UK?
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Junkman wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:27 pm Why would you not buy the parts in the UK?
Just an example

Back in 2017 I bought service parts for both my then Mustang and Sams too I bought some items in bulk like several filters etc and the bill came to just below the Threashold around £130 Delivered with VAT.

All genuine Motorcraft ordered on a Monday on my doorstep by Thursday :mrgreen:

We decided to price the exaxt same part numbers up at US Automotive but even just getting 1 item of each the total came to £257 before Shipping which was another £20

My last shipment from rock auto I just got new plugs Motorcraft OE 8 pieces for £9.60 ;)

US Automotive wanted £40 for them :(

I know the Shipping can be pricey but it doesnt alter than much whether you have a small box or tons of goodies so I just put bulk orders in for cheap things to get my moneys worth out of the postage :mrgreen:

Like packs of dual fillament bulbs ariund a fiver over here 70p from Rock Auto.

I only buy from uk when I have no other option in an emergency.............................
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Seem to be the only one using this :cry:

Anyway in my quest to get internal surfaces painted of my Merican pile of steaming I will soon be tackling the door jambs :?

Now nothing phases me here apart from hinge area :roll:

Back when I got the car the doors creaked like abandoned saloon bar doors in a low budget western :cry:

At the time I sprayed some WD40 in the general area but didnt want to furnish them with any thicker grease knowing one day I would have to paint them :roll:

They are noisey again but painting is in sight :mrgreen:

Just wondered if anybody had any tips on prep for painting in that area without removing the doors?

No way Am I removing the doors but somehow I have to remove 40 odd years of grime,grease and key the paint now on them so the new paint will play nice with it without removing the hinges or doors

Help!!!!!!!
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Yikes, maybe blast with brake cleaner to remove oils?
Are they remove the pin or unscrew type hinges?
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Use the sort of degreaser that's used in professional kitchens?

I've used Deepio for the MGB and it worked fine but that was for stuff I wasn't going to paint. If it's washed off properly I think it'd be ok.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

DodgeRover wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:38 am Yikes, maybe blast with brake cleaner to remove oils?
Are they remove the pin or unscrew type hinges?
Not sure not really looked at them properly yet but dont really want to remove the doors as shut lines and fit are perfect,well as good as they get on a 44 year old Ford :lol:

Break cleaner is probably a safe bet for removing grease been thinking of getting scotchbrite to scuff them up as probably easier to get into all the nooks and crannies.

All the years scotchbrite has been about I have never ever used it :o
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Want to strip years of paint off my Air Cleaner Box and Rocker Covers.
Found a study box they will fit in that's 63 litres and plan to put water and caustic soda in.

I have seen it done in small quantities but I will probably water half way up box with bits in taking up space 25l water maybe?

How much caustic do I need?

I have 1kg is that enough?

Any ideas hints or tips?
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Firstly be aware of the risk.....I wouldn't chuck a kilo in! Risks are to your skin and eyes so go careful. The other risk is that it can attack alloys. I've not had this happen but have heard of it. As long as the water is hot - boiling is best - and you cover the items you shouldn't need to chuck in more than a cupful of soda. I would do the air cleaner box first and then do each rocker box - rig up some kind of wire coat-hanger retrieval tool so that you aren't tempted to fish them out any other way. Stand back from the reaction and I would still be a bit cautious about the rocker boxes if they aren't steel.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Always add the soda to the water too. The other way around can get interesting when the mix is still very strong.
Private signature, do not read
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Covers and Airbox all pressed steel :)
Putting a set of Originals back on.
Got them used but very grotty!
I have two sets of Covers so ill try the worst set first they are all made out of the same stuff just want a quick way of stripping them.
Not got the paint Yet but tons of clear engine enamel so plan is strip them,wash and dry thoroughly and then blow over in clear to stop flash rust until i get more blue ;)
Only reason I asked is they say 250 ml to 1 litre of water id be bankrupt if i mixed it like that but I assume that's to make a gel?
just need a sacrificial cup now and some olde world coat hangers