1974 Dolomite Sprint

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: 1974 Dolomite Sprint

Post by SiC »

A few more horror pictures.

Cleaned out the lumps of filler from the pillar to see exactly what was going on. The plan is to cut out minimal amounts to get underneath but not compromise the strength of the structure.

This isn't too bad. Plan is to square off the edge and weld a replacement section in.

The rest of the sill actually is alright. I'll probably run a bead along that edge to be sure.

This upper part of the A-Pillar is a patch welded on. I ripped this off with screwdriver, so the welds weren't up to the job.

Passenger rear door is a holed mess

Filler is all in the holes, so someone didn't fix this and just lobbed filler over the top before paint.

It's crusty on the inside too. Probably possible to fix this door, but wondering if I'd be better off trying to find a replacement.

It's not as if this car hasn't had a replacement door already elsewhere! This is also filled with wax and probably why it's in good condition.

Finally I got on with the windscreen/bonnet area. This bit is going to have a new section put in where I've cut out the worst.

Passenger side isn't as bad and I'm hoping I can fill this up by bridging the holes with the MIG torch.

I was hoping to start welding today but the filler made such a mess, I ended up spending a few hours hoovering. Will be a big moment when fresh metal starts going on this again. Nearly a year since the last lot went in.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Looking forward to seeing your AI welder in action again!
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

It looks ugly but it’s not too bad really. A weeks worth of evenings I’d say...?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:14 pm It looks ugly but it’s not too bad really. A weeks worth of evenings I’d say...?
Probably a bit longer than that as you need to factor in I spend quite a lot of time staring at things and not a lot of doing. Part of the reason why I'm incredibly slow.

But yeah its really not all that bad. Everyone seems aghast at it but there isn't too much complex stuff in there and I'm just showing the bad bits. The rest is actually pretty good condition really. Basically the bits that were done (or not done as in the case of the windscreen area) in the last "restoration" are the bits that now need work. Mostly because a panel was welded on top of old stuff with no rust protection and shit ton of filler on top to hide the joins. Then 8-10 years of dirt/debris without being cleaned out has taken its toll. If they were done properly back then, a lot less work would have been needed now.

Only the rear arches scare me, mostly because I don't have a spare panel and I'll have to fix up what I've got. If I cock that up, I can't just go out and buy a replacement panel to try again.

I'm not going for concourse here. No point when something has had 12 owners, 130k+ miles and had numerous alterations/mods/repairs over the years. I haven't checked but I bet the drivetrain isn't original. Seats have headrests and I think early ones aren't supposed to, plus one has a occupancy sensor which if it was original wouldn't have. Seatbelts aren't original (one occupancy sensor, one Securon). Dash is cracked up in places, steering wheel not in the best condition and wood veneer peeling. Suspension is all poly bushed (of various types), lowered and on (knackered) aftermarket shocks. Etcetera etcetera.

I guess the term that is used is making a drivers car rather than a show winner.

Biggest thing I can't decide what to do about is the mass thickness of filler over it. If I take it all off, the paint job will be bigger and more expensive. If I don't, then I'll need to put copious amounts back over to not make it look odd. My current hope is I can keep going back enough with the wire wheel until it thins out again. Whoever did it though did a pretty good job of getting that thick filler super smooth - you wouldn't realise quite how much was on it. But it's also why it passed the magnet test before I bought it. There is metal under there, just covered.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Mixing wirewool into filler helps them pass the magnet test too...

It also makes the filler stronger.
Private signature, do not read
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Iron filings.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:23 pm Iron filings.
Pre rusted?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Right! This hole

Cut a template to match and transfer onto fresh steel

Line it up sorter in the right place

Pulled out my old friend Mrs GYS MultiPearl Something Something Synergic MIG welder

Lay my first set of welds in well over a year. Looks shit naturally.

Got reasonable penetration. Always good when that happens 😁
Also realised I should have cut this off rather than trying to bend it after.

Weld the bottom. Looks even crapper. Forgot to take a picture of that, but have another of the backside. I probably should have welded it this side really. Easier to grind the welds and less messy the other side.

Put my mate Mr Angry Grinder into action. Messy and noisy but certainly neatened up a job.

Didn't quite finish that tonight as I hit my new (wife imposed) 10pm curfew. Gives me a chance to fire watch and write these updates at least.
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:23 pm Iron filings.
I have about 2kg of used grinder sparks on the workshop floor. I expect SIC does too
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Try putting each spot half on top of the one before it and don't be tempted to move. Remember not to put more than a few in one spot or you'll warp it.

Fire watch is a really good idea, ideally finish any hot works at least 15 minutes before you walk out the door and stick to it!