1974 Dolomite Sprint

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
panhard65

Re: 1974 Dolomite Sprint

Post by panhard65 »

I have only dealt with fibreglass wings once back in the late 80's early 90's when I put a pair on my Renault 15. They were a bloody awful fit as it seemed they were made by using an existing panel as the mould. They were just that little bit bigger in every dimension. Getting dust in my eye from all the grinding and messing about didn't help with my opinion of them.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Started last Sunday getting the back of the front wheel arch finished.

This is pretty much how I left it last year bar cleaning up again ready for this welding.

That was an awkward shape to get in, so I cut a bit more off to get more room the other side.

Made a patch that fitted. Easier when you have access the other side as I could roughly get to shape and put the otherside and mark off a more exact measurement.

A lot of fiddling to get into place and held.

The light area made a handy earthing point.

Then a couple of tacks to hold in place as it was getting late and I wouldn't finish it that day. Leaving a few days would likely leave it ending up on the floor.

Fast forward to yesterday evening when I had some more time to get on with this. Hellish first week back affected my mojo for getting on with welding in the evenings and I suspect it's not going to get any better, so progress from now is likely to be slow again.

Anyhow finished welding it up and took off the top of the welds. I'm not going to grind all the way back as it's an awkward place to work and its not really visible normally either.

Then painted. Which has just reminded me, I need to put paint on the inside...!

Not sure if I want to tackle the front of the car just yet. I might put some paint over to protect it and then come back later for it. Feel that it's probably one of those faffy jobs that will take forever to get right. Also need to get some thinner steel and try out seeing if that's easier to shape than the stuff I have at the moment. I can shape the 0.9mm/20 gauge stuff I have, but it's not the most pliable. For the front end wing, it's not structural but it is quite shaped. So thinner stuff should be ok here.

Also need to either repair or replace the light holders. I really don't want to cut the wing or front valance off as I think it's a bit unnecessary for the work that needs doing there. Cutting them off will be a right faff in getting them back on and they risk never be right. Not that they probably were out of the factory anyway!
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I once killed someone while sanding a car. I didn't mean to, I just wanted to rough him up a bit.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

Hooli! Fuck off!
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Finished the inner wing area off. This was a right pia to do as the outer wing is in place and room is tight. As this will be hidden by a shield, I didn't grind it completely flat either. Need to bend that bit sticking back out to give somewhere for the shield to bolt onto.

Started moving back towards the rear of the car again. The front will be easier to do once it's facing the other end of the garage. I'll turn the car around when I get onto the nearside as I won't have to move all my tools to the other side of the garage, plus there is a whole bunch of crap on the other wall too.

Finished a small bit by the checkstrap plate I forgot. Small and barely noticeable once the doors on but needed to be done.

Next up is the b-pillar. Took the door off as it makes working on this area massively easier.

Started removing gobs of filler again.

Actually was fearing it would be much worse under here. Double skinned again but the inner, thicker metal skin is in good shape. Some pitting but plenty of metal left there.

Cut away some of the pitted outer section so I could repair that hole at the top of the sill.

Welded a piece in place and then chased up the smaller holes.

Then painted. Except I forgot to take a picture of that and I'm in bed writing this up on my phone ...

I'll try remember to take a picture before I get on with making replacement pieces for the outer section of that b-pillar! Not particularly exciting though, the same but grey. Painted surfaces do come up clearer on the camera though.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Some Friday night metal bashing

Other bit left is going to be a bit more awkward. After this I might go back to the front wing and get the bottom piece done.

I've got a replacement piece but I hate welding preformed panels in. If you cock it up, it costs more money! I'm dreading getting the rear arches done. They're hideously expensive panels and hens teeth.

Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Your work seems to have stepped up a notch just lately looking at those repairs, you're really getting into it now. If you're doing larger panels just don't rush it, spot, spot, spot, move, repeat somewhere else, try and balance up the heat, plenty of tacks evenly spaced before you start. If the panel needs tweaking try and do it before you start fixing it to the car.
P1000752.jpg~original.jpg
P1000752.jpg~original.jpg (70.61 KiB) Viewed 2671 times
P1000754.jpg~original.jpg
P1000754.jpg~original.jpg (63.05 KiB) Viewed 2671 times
P1000768.jpg~original.jpg
P1000768.jpg~original.jpg (76.38 KiB) Viewed 2671 times
14657450101_cd8c550202_h.jpg
14657450101_cd8c550202_h.jpg (101.85 KiB) Viewed 2671 times
I'm far from an expert on car panels, that was the first one I'd ever put in and that Justy was hideously thin, There's about the sum total of two of those Justy's left so there was no pressure... CLINT painted and filled it and said I'd warped it slightly, I actually know when I did that as I got a bit carried away at one point as my mind wandered, you can see just how many spots were involved :shock: The other side I did after was spot on apparently.

I couldn't resist the filler shot sorry, the bloke must've been a frustrated sculptor? You are saving this car after the last cunts bodged it and filled it, wish I had a Dolly Sprint, my brothers 1500TC was great fun!
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Most of these pieces are quite simple really. Flat bits of metal with the slight curve in them. More than one curve, I have to do it in several pieces! I've found that an adjustable wrench makes an ideal tool to put a sharpish bend into a piece of metal too. Also getting back into the flow and practicing again helps a lot. It was nearly a year from stopping and then starting on this again.

That filler is not far off what I've had on this to be honest! Except often underneath it's been pristine metal. Like the last person doing it blobbed too much on and instead of taking it off, just carried on sculpting.

I've got to learn how to do filler next. It's a (semi-) liquid, so there is a good chance I'll make a right mess. You can see the runny mess I make with the paint in these photos! I'll use the excuse too that I'm doing it in a cold garage with a heat gun, so not optimal painting environment.

Glad I got a Sprint in the end - even if the engine gives me the heebie jeebies. It was RBJ that said not to bother with anything else and he was right. I could have bought a reasonable condition 1500HL or even a slightly shabby 1850HL for the money I paid. But even if mine is needing work, it keeps me going knowing it's the real McCoy. The real McCoy with 130k on the clock, 11ish owners and a whiny diff. 😁

The air filter is off at the moment, the carb throats stuffed with blue roll and fire blankets over the top. Need to extract all that without getting any of it into those intakes. Scratched bores would be an almighty disaster! In hindsight I should have put the air filter box back on - I removed it to get the steering column out.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

I'm no painter but less is more IYKWIM, a dusting as a key coat and build up a bit at a time, don't just blather it on and hope for the best. Same with filler, the more filler you put on means the more you have to sand off and as SOON as it starts to go off forget it, it's not just a case of diminishing returns like you hope it'll be it'll fuck the job. Too much, just like paint and it'll sag, layer it.
Blacksmiths-old-vintage-19-tall-anvil-bick-iron.jpg
Blacksmiths-old-vintage-19-tall-anvil-bick-iron.jpg (20.29 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
Btw, I saw this photo in the Justy folder, sure I recommended one before? Find one, borrow one, steal* one (or make something to do the same job out of scrap) It was a game changer for me doing plates on the Justy. Anything a roughly similar shape will do I'm sure.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Great work and makes me want to get on with some of the welding jobs I have.
Did you buy a Lidl plasma cutter and if so do you use it much?