1974 Dolomite Sprint

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: 1974 Dolomite Sprint

Post by SiC »

Busy fitting my diesel heater in today. This should help improve the motivation in getting the car done. I find nothing worse than working somewhere cold that chills to the bone.

However I did get a chance for a few hours on the car. Welded in a new piece on the A-Pillar, to fill the hole before.

Then started tacking and then welding my new fabricated piece in. The edge to the inside was a bit tricky at the metal is thin in placed and blew thru at the slightest chance.

It still requires the other side doing but decided to do that once this is in. That way I can make it fit properly at the time rather than having to keep readjusting until I can weld it as one whole thing.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Finished the base of the A-Pillar. A lot of welding and even more grinding. Actually quite pleased how it's turned out, given my limited tools, experience and skills.

Not many words apart from that, so I'll do a complete picture history of the job to see the transition.

Next up is to finish a small section in the front wheel arch and bottom of the front wing. After that it's the B-Pillar and continue going backwards!
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Looking good. Just a skim of filler on the repairs and it's perfect. You'll have this ready for paint by March. Top work.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Yeah, the paint at the moment is mostly to protect it until I can get it painted properly. I'm having to use a heat gun to heat the metal up first to get it to even adhere. So I'm not expecting a great adherence at all on what's gone on now.

I had hoped to avoid using filler at all but it's these types of bits that I guess it's really supposed to be for. I have used a lot of electrical filler - welding then grinding to shape. Likewise smaller holes I tend to bridge with welds, grind and possibly repeat that process until I get a decent thickness all over. No wonder I get through so much welding gas. 🤣
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Just back to your heater install for a mo. How warm is that brick pier and wall after the heaters been running for a couple of hours?

As for gas, do you set it by the gauge or by ear? You may find you can really drop it down low working inside, especially if you tend to weld with the tip/shroud near the job rather than like some do with it much further away? As long as you don't get porous welds you've got enough gas.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Haha I love the fact my heating solution on here gets as much interest as the car!

The hot air outlet has its ducting on, so wall temp may not be relevant. Duct outlet according to my IR thermometer is about 100c though.

Gas is set to roughly 10l/m. About what I find is best before it starts to splatter more. Probably could go a bit lower but it's easy to remember on the gauge if I knock the setting knob.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

We haven't had any rusty photos for a few weeks, so I thought I'd put that right.

Put the front end up on stands so I can tackle this wheel arch.

While I was there, I took out it's eyeballs

Reflector is buggered and the lights will need to be replaced.

Started tapping with the little hammer and got carried away

Decided at this point to attack it with the wire wheel. Can tell this is another one if those areas that has been previously "repaired". No surprise really as TADIS.

Filler bloody everywhere again.

Light mounts will need attention. I knew this when looking inside the wheel arch. Again TADIS.

Decided to cheer myself up by looking at the other wing while I was there. Doesn't look too bad.

Again with the wire wheel. Much less filler this side and previously repaired. Not as bad though.

At least these bits aren't structural this time! Club I think does GRP replacements but I reckon these can be fixed up and I'd prefer to have metal rather than GRP wings. Certainly the nearside, offside possibly a bit more work to do though.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I'd rather have metal wings too, given the quality of the repairs you're doing. I've never seen GRP bits that look right on a car that should be metal.
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Having seen where you are at with your repairs putting fresh metal in will be your best route. Looks like the previous repairs lasted ok but more rotted away?
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Properly fitted GRP wings are fine. Bonded on with 3M panel bond and they will never come off again.