1974 Dolomite Sprint

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: 1974 Dolomite Sprint

Post by LynehamHerc »

How about getting a car cover?

I used one on my T2 and it worked pretty well.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

It been nearly a month since I've done any proper work on this. Irritating heavy weather and working outside don't go together. Today though has been a dry and sunny day, perfect for getting on with this wing.
Over a month this time! We nearly got to the point of moving and then our fourth buyer this year pulled out. Basically her solicitor screwed around and she got confused then gave notice on where she was renting early and she panicked into a new rental contract. Now on our fifth buyer. Selling a house certainly isn't fun.

Anyhow I had a little bit of time inbetween rain showers to crack on a bit more. Wing still needs finishing by welding on the new section but it was due to rain, so I wouldn't be able to get paint on in time.

So instead decided to fix the worst of the drivers floor.

Cut out a hole e

Made a template

Matched template up with holes

Transferred to steel

Then cut it to suit. I need to figure a way of making decent holes in steel. A Dremel with a grinding attachment just doesn't cut it.

At this point it started to rain, so I didn't get a chance to pull the welder out. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to get done.

Also need to take some good pictures of the horror that is lurking behind the dash and under the windscreen. :S
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

chadders wrote:How about getting a car cover?

I used one on my T2 and it worked pretty well.
I've heard bad things about them scratching the paint up. Also any water between the cover and body apparently sits and can make nice rusty bits. So for now it's just living exposed to the elements.
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

SiC wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:38 pm
Over a month this time! We nearly got to the point of moving and then our fourth buyer this year pulled out. Basically her solicitor screwed around and she got confused then gave notice on where she was renting early and she panicked into a new rental contract. Now on our fifth buyer. Selling a house certainly isn't fun.

The only winner here (and every* time) is the solicitor, money for nothing!

fuckers, install yourself in the solicitors office with a stinky kebab and a bottle of cheap supermarket whiskey until they just fucking get the job done. Should take days end to end but they drag it out every time.

Cunts
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

^^^ exactly this it should take no longer than the waiting time for the reports.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Had a couple of hours free this morning to weld the floor in

Then paint to protect. Probably could do with another coat but that took quite a while to dry even with the fan heater on it.

I started by welding the end nearest the front as this metal was nice and thick still to take welds. The back bit nearest the centre was heavily pitted. However dialing back the welder and doing an overlap weld seemed to do the trick. Even though it was dialed back, I got penetration along it. Did require a few holes blown through where it had pitted, needing to have them filled up with welds.

Not ideal a patch went in as the floor panel could do with changing out longer term. However this is more than good enough short to medium term. To be honest, most people would be happy as this as a permanent fix but I'm just picky.

Still uncertainty in the house move, so I'm kinda idling along a bit until we know more. At an awkward point now though as to continue, I need to commit taking more stuff out. However there is the real chance I'll suddenly get the nod to move and I'll need to put it back together really quickly! Also the more bits pulled off, the more likely I'll loose/misplace those bits.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Why is it always around the same time every month, once a month I get to work on this?

I set about stripping the interior some more.

This is how it started off in the morning.

First step was removing the steering column. This was relatively tricky free. Three bolts holding onto the bulkhead and a pinch bolt to undo the steering column from the rack intermediate shaft. I just know that pinch bolt is going to be a fight to get back in. Access really isn't that great on this.

Anyway it came off

Next up was the heater unit. 3 bolts and one screw headed bolt to remove inside

Then disconnect the pipes on the bulkhead. These were incredibly hard to get off and I had to cut one off. They're down here

One pipe was covered in insulation tape. Looks like its worn through and to be honest probably should have been replaced. The hoses were all very hard and I think due for a replacement. Will need to find the pipe size so I can refresh them. Don't want to play any risky games with these cooling system, as notorious as they can be!

Heater box came away easy enough after that.

And I left it to drain.

The foam on the control flap is falling off and perished as they do. Either I'll remove it and/or replace it.

Now the bulkhead area is empty, I can have a good look behind

For that, I'll now move over to the medium of video as it's much easier than pictures for this. Also a good experiment and practice for me, as I quite fancy documenting these posts as video instead.
[youtube][/youtube]
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Richardthestag - Sorry just realised I uploaded the wrong video early and deleted it, along with your comment. The one above is a bit longer than the one you watched and has post wire wheel action in it.

Luckily YouTube emailed it
damn! that is not a nice Christmas Present is it? Had you not taken the dash out you would never have found that. is it where the heater vent on the scuttle goes in? Me? I would leave the screen in, cut out most of that box section and weld in a new one, tag it along, then screen out and finish the job. miserable job though
Unfortunately I saw the mess after I removed the parcel tray, which I removed so I could weld the floor up without setting fire to it. I've known about it for a while and have been ignoring it and hoping it'll go away. It was made much worse by me poking it with my fingers and running a screwdriver along. I had considered putting it all back together and leave as is. But I know if I did that, it'd forever bug me. Plus our buyers haven't got their mortgage still and not likely to change over the xmas break. So I've got a bit of time to get on with it.

Currently the wiper shaft nut is stuck on and partially rounded off. I need to fight and get that off as I need to remove the brake pedal to finish it properly. Half tempted to plate it though and just fill the area with boat loads of cavity wax.
Last edited by SiC on Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:20 pm Why is it always around the same time every month, once a month I get to work on this?
Because you don't have weans! I'd love to have that time back thanks.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

What colour is it? Grey and red is too gaudy for an old Triumph, paint it black instead.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.