Too much technology?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Jazoli

Re: Too much technology?

Post by Jazoli »

mercrocker wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:13 pm I tell you why they can take ABS and shove it up their arse - Fucking MOT-failing warning lights on my £300 Fiesta which do not affect the safety of the car in any way (it has far better anchors than anything else I drive) but mean that I have to play light roulette when booking my MOT. Yes, I have cleaned the sensors and all the other bollocks but this kind of shit just gets in the way of running what would otherwise be an excellent car.

Sorry if I sound like a grumpy old Luddite (actually I am not sorry, I don't care...) but the modern motor car just doesn't do it for me, largely because of all the unwanted shit they come with.
Why not just fix it properly then? sensors are a tenner each on ebay :D

You might find it affects the cars safety on a wet road when you have tenths of a second to brake and steer to avoid a collision and all you are doing is heading towards the scene of the accident with your wheels locked and offering zero retardation*

*tongue firmly in cheek btw :)
CBA
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I'll just wait till the light goes out again.......In any case 45 years of driving Sixties cars has pretty much taught me not to lock wheels up!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Jazoli wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:03 pm Why would you want to remove/take abs away? its a massive safety aid and learning to drive without it is pretty pointless for 99.9% of folk
I disagree it's pointless, still plenty of non-ABS cars out there at the sort of prices new drivers can afford. Obviously it's good normally, but they don't teach how the dynamics of cars work on lessons & I think they should. Car drivers aren't taught to load the front & then brake hard the way I was with bikes, that's just one example.
Private signature, do not read
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

mercrocker wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:13 pm - Fucking MOT-failing warning lights on my £300 Fiesta
That's where you went wrong: because not Jazz. ;)
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:39 pm
mercrocker wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:13 pm - Fucking MOT-failing warning lights on my £300 Fiesta
That's where you went wrong: because not 40+ years old.
FTFY.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Hooli wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:35 pm
Jazoli wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:03 pm Why would you want to remove/take abs away? its a massive safety aid and learning to drive without it is pretty pointless for 99.9% of folk
I disagree it's pointless, still plenty of non-ABS cars out there at the sort of prices new drivers can afford. Obviously it's good normally, but they don't teach how the dynamics of cars work on lessons & I think they should. Car drivers aren't taught to load the front & then brake hard the way I was with bikes, that's just one example.
They certainly aren't told to brake with the front whilst having the rear wheel locked and dragging like an anchor behind on steep descents either (as you do on a trials bike) or to get used to what happens when you lock the front wheel and it's all useful experience.
In fact if every car driver had to first do 12 months on a bike the world would be a happier place.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I totally agree there is far too much technology in cars!
Since automatic ignition advance has been common place, people have lost the ability to drive. Far too easy for a commoner to get to a hill, just push the accelerator and expect to motor up without any intervention.

Now don't get me started on synchromesh gearboxes! Not having to double clutch ever time you change gear has made drivers so lazy. Push the pedal down, wiggle the stick and release the pedal is all you have to do. Push button technology. Takes the fun and skill out of driving.
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

Hooli wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:35 pm
I think cars without Abs are becoming very rare indeed to be honest, they will be a fairly small percentage of cars available to buy these days as it has been compulsory since 2004 and fitted to most cars well before then, I don't really agree with the loading the front on a car, its very important on a bike but on a car less so I think, 95% of people driving really don't have a clue about weight transfer anyway, for the majority they just press the pedal and expect the car to stop, it is a definite advantage to have it fitted.
CBA
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Try it. With modern over servod brakes it's dead easy to trigger ABS without slowing much by suddenly stamping on the brakes.

We're of an age we had to learn how cars worked to be able to drive, kids don't now as cars are too easy. But the physics still apply, hence they have amazingly stupid crashes because they don't understand how to drive a car.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I don't think that they'e interested.

My wife and two sons treat the cars as white goods, which is why I'm leaving the 4,500 rpm limiter on my T2 as they won't drive like Mercrocker. If I didn't check them no one would, they have a 'sealed bonnet' mentality.

Personally I'm more than happy to have ABS and switchable traction control etc. I even ordered the Emergency Braking option on our UP! as I saw it as being worth it as it would also be used by our youngest as his first car.

What I don't like is all the additional complication to eke out 1% less CO2 to meet some arbitary target. I'd guess that manufacturing some of the things cause more CO2 to be emitted than they'll save but of course this is not taken into account by the bureaucrats.