USA Road Trip Suggestions?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Warren t claim

Re: USA Road Trip Suggestions?

Post by Warren t claim »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:18 pm Get the flights over, see a bit then fly to Vancouver and see more. Get a ride from a youth hostel to Banff. Do lake Louise and especially Jasper at night. Etc etc
YVR is a cunt of an airport to fly into due to the rapid descent after The Rockies. My ears took five days to recover.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Warren t claim wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:12 pm
Scruffy Bodger wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:18 pm Get the flights over, see a bit then fly to Vancouver and see more. Get a ride from a youth hostel to Banff. Do lake Louise and especially Jasper at night. Etc etc
YVR is a cunt of an airport to fly into due to the rapid descent after The Rockies. My ears took five days to recover.
3B1424E3-39C7-4D5E-9860-9EECE7A3AF8C.jpeg
3B1424E3-39C7-4D5E-9860-9EECE7A3AF8C.jpeg (13.59 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
I couldn’t help myself but see this image once I read your last sentence!

I do know what you mean. I had a cold on one flight and couldn’t get the pressure to equalize in my sinus’ once we came back down. That hurt like a b@$t@rd.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Does Rent-A-Wreck still exist in the US?
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Warren t claim wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:12 pm
Yep, pretty painful coming into that one, you're not wrong, worth it tho!

I've found Ljubljana pretty entertaining and can be similar, always entertaining* when you can see the ground is really close and you hit turbulence, especially if sat in the very back of the plane. Anyone UK based should head to the Julian Alps, it's like a mini Rockies but far closer and an awful lot cheaper to get to. The Soca river isn't as blue as Lake Louise but it's getting towards it 8-)
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Anything east of the Mississippi is Just A Lot Of Fucking Trees.

Anything northwest is all corn. And trailers.

But, there's still a fair bit to see in the trees, but don't expect it to be like driving to Exmoor to stop in Newquay for the weekend.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Asimo

Post by Asimo »

Rent a comfortable car not a pickup. A truck might be fun around town for a few hours but the joke would quickly wear thin on good driving roads.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Asimo wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:02 am Rent a comfortable car not a pickup. A truck might be fun around town for a few hours but the joke would quickly wear thin on good driving roads.
If you absolutely must get a pickup, the latest model Dodge Ram is the most comfortable long distance pickup truck I've owned yet, and we used to put hundreds of thousands of miles on pickup trucks for the business. Mine rides better than my Jeep Grand Cherokee did.
Most "good driving roads" that would be 60 mph and technical fun in the UK are a strictly enforced 25-35 mph limit here. America doesn't believe in driving fast around corners.

However, fuel in California is about 25% more expensive than anywhere else in the country. A car will save you on fuel, particularly in hilly terrain.
Parking a truck can be a pain in older towns (too long for a lot of diagonal-in side-of-street spaces)
California isn't really pickup truck country. That's Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama.
If you absolutely must have a behemoth, rent a Suburban. You can lock your stuff into the back of it, a pickup you cannot. Better for overnighters in less-than-fantastic neighborhoods/cheap Motel 6 style digs.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Warren t claim wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:27 pm Does Rent-A-Wreck still exist in the US?
Yup! Wouldn’t do it though…
https://www.rentawreck.com/

There’s a new millennial kid in town called Turo.

https://turo.com/?utm_campaign=gs:br:ex ... gLWGfD_BwE

With the pound to dollar exchange rate, you might be able to rent something ‘fancy’ for similar rates to the usual budget car places. I’ve done a couple and turned out good (except for the smart car in the snow which was my own fault).
I’m going to rent one of those three wheeled Polaris things from it next spring.
Always wanted a go in one, but know I couldn’t live with one for more than 10 mins.

A friend always rents something nice when he goes on holiday somewhere like So Cal. I know he has rented Boxsters and 911s. Most recently a Lotus something or other (not Elise). Looked like fun. Just watch for mileage charges.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Anything from Enterprise is a rentawreck in my book.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

Broccoli wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:10 am
There’s a new millennial kid in town called Turo.

https://turo.com/?utm_campaign=gs:br:ex ... gLWGfD_BwE

With the pound to dollar exchange rate, you might be able to rent something ‘fancy’ for similar rates to the usual budget car places. I’ve done a couple and turned out good (except for the smart car in the snow which was my own fault).
I’m going to rent one of those three wheeled Polaris things from it next spring.
Always wanted a go in one, but know I couldn’t live with one for more than 10 mins.

A friend always rents something nice when he goes on holiday somewhere like So Cal. I know he has rented Boxsters and 911s. Most recently a Lotus something or other (not Elise). Looked like fun. Just watch for mileage charges.
Wow, just had a look at what's available in a couple of places we are looking to go to. And there are cars I actually want to drive, and at less than renting a compact car from one of the big companies.

Even got some recommended trips and places to see, so win-win even if we don't use them for actual rentals.

It made my day. Thanks.