Calling all wobsters! Shite auction N. Yorks Sat. 6th July

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
ghosty

Re: Calling all wobsters! Shite auction N. Yorks Sat. 6th July

Post by ghosty »

You has PM.
Watch for pedestrians...
Conrad D. Conelrad

Post by Conrad D. Conelrad »

I am leaving now!!!
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

I'm ready and waiting.
Watch for pedestrians...
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Well, the venue was a bit shit, really, but we had a lot of fun nonetheless.
The locale is woefully inadequate to hold such an event and that it is bisected by a busy road going through a total tourist trap doesn't help. The cars are cluttered across several locations with too little space between them to properly inspect them and you can imagine how crowded such an arrangement becomes even if there aren't that many potential buyers present. Judging from what I managed to gather from the auction itself, very few cars actually sold, and the auction results defy any sanity or logic, depending on the individual car in either direction.

We kept ourselves busy with an auction game I created pretty ad hoc the night before the event, but I can't find the auction results published yet to evaluate the result. Even if they won't be published, comparing our selections in a beer garden was great fun and that alone was well worth it.

I'll be AFK now, but I will try to post pics and further details later today.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

Yep - no doubt thanks to the telly folks Mathewsons are now too big for their boots. And their village.

The auction lots are crammed in so tightly it's almost impossible to get around some of them to view, and some are not in as good condition as the online catalogue suggests. I think I read something suggesting some of the site was a small motor museum in the past, but the exhibits had been moved to make space for more auction lots.
As I understand, between auctions, the site still acts as a museum with lots as exhibits... not sure how I'd feel about that if I was selling a car there.
Some of the lots were being exhibited on the roadside outside the auction house - there was no space here either and people frequently spilled out into the road, which also constantly had people crossing it to get to the village hall opposite where bidding took place, and also some more lots were displayed round the back and side.
Towards the end of the day when people had mostly cleared off and few lots were left to go, it was much easier to browse the lots properly - after most of them had sold, natch. Also, you could view half the lots for free, but the other half required purchase of an auction catalogue, which admitted two people for £7.50. Bear in mind said catalogue is available online for free. We declined to pay that, and instead went off for a coffee. On return we noticed an open side gate and wandered in. Commence auction game! A while after, the staff stopped charging for catalogues so we just milled about at our leisure.

Who was asking about the 505 GTI? It was a gem, and went for £2k.
£8750 bought you a Singer Gazelle automatic with an iffy respray job, or similar money, a slightly rough Citroen D Super 5.
An electric cart that looked like an airport baggage truck that'd been rattle canned black went for £650ish.
As I watched the auction for it, a staff member said to me he had no idea what it was doing in the auction.
Watch for pedestrians...
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

Fish and chips 7/10 on Chip Advisor. Food good, amenities less so.
Watch for pedestrians...
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Right.

This thing all of a sudden started to make a terrible noise that should be made illegal.

They didn't manage to shut it off for a while and I wanted to assist them with an axe. It turned out that sadly neither me, nor any of my fellow travellers had packed one for the trip.

This had a typical auction paint job, which sadly doesn't show on the pics.

As far as I could see, there was a nice car underneath all that orange peel and it has this:

"My Vintage Tyre" department:

Mmmmh, gum dipped!

They were fitted to this Canadian Fargo farm truck, which was actually the hidden gem of the auction:

Then it occurred to me that no matter how nice and original this truck is, it doesn't really belong over here.
I mean, you don't tell a 68 year old Canadian to move to the UK and expect him to thrive over here, do you?

I love it when parents build some lethal toys for their children.

This went on my auction game sheet in the Toff Tat category.

Sadly it is incredibly fucked.

The 505 was honest and genuinely good.

I was seriously tempted to bid, but I'm just too poor at this stage of my life.

This MB-texed 116 Woollard Special sadly didn't sport the required "6.9" numerals on the bootlid.

Instead it is not really powered by the Beelzebub's potion pressurised with a witch's hairdryer, which made me wonder why someone bothered to import it and now can't get rid of it.

This should give you an idea how crammed everything was.

Imagine this with a few hundred people added and it becomes quite annoying.

Some nickage was seriously considered for a moment.

This is how they kept things balanced.

And it was a V12. I wouldn't drive through my front garden like this.

More crammage.

Genuinely good stuff was few and far between.

I heeded only part of this advice.

Squire blended in remarkably well.

Seriously nice unrestored survivor.

Typical restoration quality.

Where I'm from it's classed as willful damage to property in concomitance with malicious destruction of cultural heritage.

I'm extremely attracted by the incredible half arsedness of these.

Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

Looking at Mathewsons' site, I don't think we'll be able to find the hammer prices from it - only whether things sold or not. I'll keep an eye on Classic Car Weekly as they sometimes have lists of hammer prices. I get given second hand copies from someone that reads it religiously.

Observations - the 505 didn't make the guide price of £3-4k and is 'under offer'.
126 didn't make guide price either, again £3-4k. Not sure the hammer fell.

Weren't the gum-dipped Firestones on the Stan Woods fodder A99 with a five figure reserve?

The Mondial's backstory was great - a previous owner was a Scottish well-to-do bloke. He sold it to the guy who put it on the block as he'd lost his licence for drink driving and was replacing the Mondial with a helicopter.

The Massey Fergusons were the tractors with the highest guide prices, at £3950. Only one of the two is marked sold, so Conrad might get a big fat 0 if he's unlucky. However the Fargo had an £8k guide and also sold.
Watch for pedestrians...
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

That 323 has hit ebay already priced up at just shy of 8k. This thing went through the auction I went to making 150 quid which I thought was enough as even though it is very rare who would want the bits as it was totally fucked.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-rare-19 ... 0290.m3507
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (315.01 KiB) Viewed 4448 times
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

8k, fuck off.
Watch for pedestrians...