Cars that I thought would not be shit but were

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Warren t claim

Re: Cars that I thought would not be shit but were

Post by Warren t claim »

John F wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:22 am Maserati Biturbos are evil bastards that will spin on the fucking spot without warning. Short chassis & loads of power, plus a bit (although not all that much tbf) of turbo lag.
I seized a Biturbo on behalf of the VAT many years ago and being a sly cunt I scheduled it's uplifting for a Friday night so I could hang on to it for the weekend. To its credit it didn't break down and the only fault with the thing was a very lazy passenger side electric window motor.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Sloth

Post by Sloth »

HOLDEN VF GTS LSA. TOO MUCH POWER IN A FUCKING TAXI. CAN BE OUTCORNERED BY A DACIA SAQNDERO
John F

Post by John F »

I drove mine for a full year before it stuffed its engine (now repaired), and it's a nervous, skittish thing at the best of times. Yep it's powerful, but it'll bite you hard on the arse if you take your eye off the ball for a moment. It's a bitch.

It's ACE.
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

It sounds like the sort of car I'd keep for sunny mornings when I felt like a drive and in the garage at all others.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

A mate of mine has a Ghibli that did just that. He's not driven it for 10-15 years.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

John F wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:26 pm I drove a new Bentley Continental GT V8 back in 2014.

Priced at £125,000 or thereabouts, it was discernibly worse in almost all respects than my 1994 Vauxhall Calibra V6.

There was such a lot wrong with it IMO that I'm not going to list it all here, but the one thing I really disliked about it is that the steering did not become firmer at higher speeds. If I'd sneezed during a brief 3-figure blat down a local motorway I suspect I'd have ended up in the Armco.
I can quite believe this. The ability to register real qualities seems to have deserted car buyers. I drove an M sport BMW briefly yesterday- it was nicely made and had many attributes but seemed to fall down in the one area that I would expect to be a given on such a car- the engine felt and even sounded like a fucking diesel. I'm guessing it might be a direct injection, but whatever boxes it ticks on paper it didn't give me the slightest horn.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Am I the only sane person here who expects a car to go where I point it, without fail?
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

John F wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:22 am Maserati Biturbos are evil bastards that will spin on the fucking spot without warning. Short chassis & loads of power, plus a bit (although not all that much tbf) of turbo lag.
I drove a couple when they were new, 430 autos. They were generally as shit as I expected them to be, flaky electrics, leaky sunroofs, unreliable, unstable etc etc. But they did go well in a straight line.
The first one got written off when the director's wife lost it on a roundabout on the school run. He of course ordered another one, that came from the receivers of the importer at the time . It was even worse , I remember him walking into the transport office one morning carrying one of the plastic over sills , that had fallen off that morning- it was attached with 3 long screws into already rusty holes in the sill ( about 3 months old at the time)
I once tried to find out how fast it would go, but it was so scary at about 130, I bottled out. Another time on the way to the office , I came across a Thema Turbo with Italian badges etc, I gave it a bit out of roundabout, showing off, just about managed not to stack it. The lads in the Thema loved it, so much so they followed me to the office and wanted to chat , laughing and shouting about how sideways it was. Trouble was the guy who's car it was was standing in reception!
I just told him they were crazy Italians, and I didn't know what they were saying.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:56 pm Am I the only sane person here who expects a car to go where I point it, without fail?
Yes.

Cars don't do that.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:56 pm Am I the only sane person here who expects a car to go where I point it, without fail?
You can't defy the laws of physics, although here's one for you to think about, if I want to turn left on my motorcycle I actually turn the bars to the right :mrgreen:
CBA