The Boring And Long Winded Story Of a Man And His 405s

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Junkman

The Boring And Long Winded Story Of a Man And His 405s

Post by Junkman »

It all started many a year ago.

We were a car short, so the following search criteria were entered in the Auto Trader website:

- Petrol
- Automatic
- Saloon
- No leather
- Sort by cheapest first

This was returned as the top result:

It had travelled fewer than 100,000 miles:

And yes, this was the cheapest petrol automatic saloon on Auto Trader at the time.
We had it not long and sold it after acquiring the Range Rover you can see in the pics.
However, said Rangey turned out to be too impractical for the use we used it for and the 405 was soon dearly missed. Hence another one was obtained, this time an estate.

Ghosty thinks I bought it from his Uncle, which could be true since I indeed bought it in the area where he lives.
Can't tell for sure, because I didn't pick it up from his home.
I'd probably still have it if this didn't happen while holidaying in Germany.

Upon returning home, a replacement car was required, but no petrol automatic 405s could be found for sale, so we bought a Lada Riva estate from the Wirral and thus had to apply for a V5C. The Lada was from the onset only meant as a stop gap until another 405 is found, because we knew how shit those Ladas are before we bought it. We eventually happened upon another 405 in the desired spec (see shitbox Lada still on drive).

We had that one for quite a while, then the Junkwoman got the idea to downsize. See its replacement and its replacement in this pic:

Yes, we realised that ORL SMOL CARZ IZ SHT M8 and got another petrol 405 auto. This was the one with the legendary MoT failure on the grounds of a numberplate that was deemed too dangerous and unsafe:

It was sold to a Shiter from Luton.

Said shiter shortly afterwards emmigrated to a deemed by the septics quite bombable shithole called Vietnam and the Pug sat on his parents' drive for a year or three. It was then bought by StillOrange of this parish and when we picked it up we realised why said shiter didn't return from a trip to Vietnam, because even that is better than Luton.
Anyway, StillOrange lost at what I believe was Cambelt Bingo shortly afterwards and scrapped it together with its wheels cum ALL FOUR HUBCAPS still in place, a sacrilege I still struggle to fully forgive him for.

Oh, yes, the reason why it was sold in the first place, was because an estate appeared on the radar and was consequently won after a fierce bidding war on eBay, which culminated in the back then considered insane amount of 560 Pounds Sterling.

This was the pick uppage when I still owned the blue saloon with ALL FOUR HUBCAPS!!!

Obligatory pez shot.

Conelrad drove the saloon with ALL FOUR HUBCAPS and lost one on the way home courtesy of hitting something, or sum such, I cant really remember, but he felt compelled to replace it at considerable cost, so it again had ALL FOUR HUBCAPS.

The estate is one of the ultra rare Executives and thus had an interior only suitable for servants.

Since this is totally unacceptable, I ripped it out and replaced it with something providing the minimum comfort one has become accustomed to.

Mind you, this is not the last interior it will ever have. I'm semi actively looking for an ST interior in green.
I lost out on a Roland Garros interior a couple of years back. Someone found an RG spec estate at a scrappy and posted it on a French car forum instead of only telling me about it. It was impossible for me to win the ensuing rally. Mind you, 405s already have total cult status in France.

This estate has some bad luck inhered to it, though. After twice hitting MX5s (once me in traffic, once Ghosty at Chodmolestly) it got vandalised.

Then I slammed it into my garden wall after I fixed* the brakes.

It was repaired courtesy of spares offered for free(!) by fellow Shiter Carlo, who is another serial 405 licker.

Behold mismatched panel colourage and half arsed woollardage.
You now know the reason why it has a saloon front bumper, too.

Subsequently I violated my own 'do not paint' dogma:

Then I got a phone call from China (no, really!) informing me of a saloon that's up for grabs.
Consequently one of these aeroplanes was boarded.

No, not to China, dummy. To Cornwall, which is almost as far away though.

Obligatory pez station shot:

And thusly, my friends and copper engravers, I have now two 405s.

Without a single exception, all of them were and are two litre petrol automatics, the arguably most underrated combination. I always found two litre cars the most sensible for just chugging about, but compared with many such cars I've owned in my life, the 405s stand out as best in class hands down. I don't know exactly why, somehow they just got it right.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
DavidB

Re: The Boring And Long Winded Story Of a Man And His 405s

Post by DavidB »

What happened with the white one?
Wasn't the Daihatsu your most favourite car at one point?
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

The white one is "permanently exported".
I refuse to talk about the Daihatsu.
Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
stillOrange

Post by stillOrange »

Junkman wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:04 pm
Said shiter shortly afterwards emmigrated to a deemed by the septics quite bombable shithole called Vietnam and the Pug sat on his parents' drive for a year or three. It was then bought by StillOrange of this parish and when we picked it up we realised why said shiter didn't return from a trip to Vietnam, because even that is better than Luton.
Anyway, StillOrange lost at what I believe was Cambelt Bingo shortly afterwards and scrapped it together with its wheels cum ALL FOUR HUBCAPS still in place, a sacrilege I still struggle to fully forgive him for.

Oh, yes, the reason why it was sold in the first place, was because an estate appeared on the radar and was consequently won after a fierce bidding war on eBay, which culminated in the back then considered insane amount of 560 Pounds Sterling.
Lies and more lies ;)
I did loose belt roulette but I did not scrap the car. Sold it to a guy who wanted to put another engine in as the shell and interior were in good nick. For some reason he changed his mind shortly afterwards and did scrap it or use it as a donor car for other 405 he kept going.

The biggest lie of them all is the ALL FOUR HUBCAPS one. There were only three at the end of its road...

I only owned one 405 but I do agree that they are splendid cars.
I would use one again as my daily if only they were equipped with driver airbag (I learned it from my last year's meeting with the animal fauna).
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

The later ones do have a driver aerobag:

That one even has ABS (Accelerate, Brake, Shit!), the only one I ever had so equipped.
Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert »

I refuse to believe that those alloys actually came with hubcaps and must conclude that your example was in non original condition. ;)
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Be it as it may.

405s come with an ingenious screenwash system by means of a spray rail attached to the wiper blades.
Why this wasn't copied by all other automakers straight away is beyond me.

The latest saloon came with this setup though:

A hilarious combination of pimpage and bodgage.
It made the wiper look shit and weigh two kilos, but its wiping properties didn't live up to my expectations, hence I had to change it sadly. Since the clips the spray rails are mounted to the wiper blades with are often broken and replaced with cable ties, I opted in an attack of generosity to deign all my 405s fresh genuine Peugeot wiper blades that had embrittled gracefully in a warehouse the past 25 years.

These are the clips I'm talking about:

And look:

I hate the throwaway society.

I'm also a hypocrit.
Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
Kringle

Post by Kringle »

Many a 405 I saw stranded on driveways during my postie summer job in Coventry, I only ever sampled the Citroën side of the fence. Never experienced a 405 nor a 406 for that matter.
Conrad D. Conelrad

Post by Conrad D. Conelrad »

stillOrange wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:42 pmThe biggest lie of them all is the ALL FOUR HUBCAPS one. There were only three at the end of its road...
Those shit hubcaps. I hope it wasn't the one that cost me £30 to replace when I managed to lose it in the week between the car being sold and collected.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Note that my current examples will not suffer from hubcap fiasco ever.
Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice