Two wheels good.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: Two wheels good.

Post by paulplom »

LynehamHerc wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:47 pm In that case I'd change the header on my posts if I was you so he doesn't get the wrong(?) idea.
Apparently I can't do that. It has to be done by the gaffer.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

paulplom wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:01 pm
LynehamHerc wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:47 pm In that case I'd change the header on my posts if I was you so he doesn't get the wrong(?) idea.
Apparently I can't do that. It has to be done by the gaffer.
Better?
Private signature, do not read
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Hahaha
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Cunt.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

I did some more fiddling with my 14 today & she seems to be riding better, much smoother at light throttle/low revs now. So I might have finally cracked it. If so I wish I knew exactly what's fixed it!

I popped the ignition cover off the side of the engine to check it was clean so I'd get a good spark signal as the low speed issue feels like 'fluffy plugs'. There was a little bit of burnt oil on the pick up so I wiped it clean. More impressively though I found a nicely baked bug right down near the oil pressure sensor. I can't even work out how it got in as the casing is sealed on the engine. It could have crawled down past the wire, but shouldn't have been able to get past the top section as that's sealed off from the internal bit. However it managed it, it was an inch or so long & very crispy. I've evicted it now, but I'll always wonder when and how it got in as that cover probably hasn't been off for seven or eight years.
IMG_20220121_103922.jpg
IMG_20220121_103922.jpg (75.96 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Other stuff I did was knock those little metal sleeves out the inside of the TPS bolt holes so I could set it to the right value. Cleaned up the main engine earth lead, which didn't even really seem tight when I undid it. Put a different set of plugs in, not new obviously but iridium ones some a friend took out of theirs after about 12k miles so basically new. I'm not an iridium fan but for free it's rude not too? Only other thing I did was my usual tightening of the spade terminal on the small earth lead that comes off the battery too.

Time will tell if it's fixed the drinking the problem, but it does ride smooth when it used to play up so that's a good sign.

I do need a new front tyre, it's worn on the sides & tramlining badly. But I'm running it for a couple of months to get more use out of the rear so I can fit a new pair for summer.

Oh yeah, ignore the black stuff in the cover, it's got a hairline crack from being down the road loads of times so last time it was off I araldited it to seal it. That's the only reason I took it off last time.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

Been looking for a few weeks at buying something more for my long distance rides. Had a few test rides of bikes from Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki.

Need something that I can ride in comfort for 10 hours a day, something that has built in luggage for security, can cruise all day at 130kph with a bit more in reserve, can do 60mpg, can be serviced easily and is not extortionate to insure.

Come to the conclusion that my 20 year old Deauville 650 fits the bill. Its more the comfort than the running cost.

I must be getting old.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

I was going to say, 60mpg limits you to smaller bikes. Lots do 50-55mpg but not 60. I was quite amazed that a friend's K1600GT will do over 55mpg on a run at legal ish speeds, the damn thing is the size and weight of a solid gold granny annexe.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

If it was that size it wouldn't fit on the road no matter which way you put it. Gold is so overrated as well.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

I was going to say FJR1300 till I saw the 60mpg bit. I used to get around 50 but that included a lot of two up around town stuff.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Hooli wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:57 pm

I do need a new front tyre, it's worn on the sides
But the edges are untouched :lol: