Two wheels good.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Two wheels good.

Post by Hooli »

I think his womanising memoirs could be just as good...
Private signature, do not read
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

As I hadn't been on the bike much* lately I went for a little ride today (after drying out various electrical bits from yesterday) & this happened.
20200726_184418.jpg
20200726_184418.jpg (323.14 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Why thank you chaps, I am truly touched... but then you knew that already :) I did used to write for a couple of bike mags years (and years) ago but they were either fiction (meant to be fiction, proper stories not just made up exploits :) ) or road tests of classic bikes. I enjoyed it greatly but, as with all things I do, I got bored so stopped.

I'll have a go maybe and post it on here so you can all laugh and point. :)
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Was it the A5 sized used bike mart or bike trader or something similar from the late 80s?
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

No, they were both glossy mags one of which purported to be 'Super' and the other was... sod it, can't recall, may have been Classic Bike or one of the other superior comics :)

I did get to test some very nice bikes: Katana 1000 (yes a genuine 1000 with slide carbs etc. ) early GoldWing 1000 with wire wheels (ended up buying that from the supplying dealer!) loads of old British bikes (cos I could right foot gear change and wasn't bothered which way round the shift goes - owners get pissy if they lend you their bikes and you wreck the gearbox) but mostly 70s- 80s Japanese stuff as that was all the rage then.

I did enjoy hammering around on classics that I wanted when they were new but never had but you do realise quite quickly that 'rose-tinted specs' ain't all that! Everyone raved about big Kats but I thought the 1000 was dire: too heavy, far too long and the throttle needed servo assistance to get the slides fully open. Oh yes, the brakes were terrible and it handled like a greased pig. Getting 'action' shots of that thing took balls of steel... and someone else to ride it as I had to take the pictures :)
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I take it that that review of the kat didn't make it to press unedited then?

I once heard the handling of a Yamaha MX bike described in print as being like a boat, a big boat dragging a net full of bowling balls
Yellowperil

Post by Yellowperil »

First crash on the Combination yesterday...

I got on it to freewheel it backwards down my drive onto the layby outside, my intention being to swing it round to the right ready for a easy getaway.

I forgot to actually steer it and smashed into the low wall at the end of the drive, with a massive crunch.
Following the obligatory argument with myself over what a prick I am.
Schrodinger's argument, I both won and lost that one.
I fired the engine up to pull forward.
The whole lot now sounds like a tractor.
The end of the exhaust can was the only part that impacted the wall and it has knocked the exhaust out of shape, the end can is now wobbly and I am not sure where the noise is coming from.

I am waiting for someone to come round and help me fix it, because I have a spine like a butchers hook and can't get down low enough to check where the damage actually is.

A whole week off work and I can't ride.

That wall near the wheelie bin, is the one that Schrodinger's idiot hit.
I had a greater run up as well, because the Diversion isn't parked there anymore.
Attachments
IMG_20200711_173611.jpg
IMG_20200711_173611.jpg (423.4 KiB) Viewed 3933 times
Last edited by Yellowperil on Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

You plonker!
RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

I fell off my kdx200 the other week and skinned my arse. I basically wheelied off of a jump and came right off the back of the bike.
It still hurts!
After that I went out and bought all of the appropriate protection so that it won't hurt as much next time...ImageImage

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

Ouch! Yellowperil and RetroShite. Ouch!