Two wheels good.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Warren t claim

Re: Two wheels good.

Post by Warren t claim »

This bit will put newbies off.

At the moment, riders can take the theory test from the age of 16, if you’re learning to ride a moped, or 17 if you’re learning to ride a motorbike.
Riders can however complete their CBT and be on the road without ever taking the theory test as it only becomes compulsory when you look to take a practical test.
The consultation is proposing a change to make all learners pass a theory test before taking their CBT, in order to improve their theoretical knowledge before the get on the road and to encourage them to take a practical test rather than riding as a fully fledged learner on a CBT.
The consultation acknowledges that this could put riders off taking the CBT therefore making the theory test a part of the CBT course has also been put forward in the consultation.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

You mean it might put those that can't read off, like Johnny foreigner pizzaboys?
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Eddie Honda wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:34 am You mean it might put those that can't read off, like Johnny foreigner pizzaboys?
You've got a point there. I didn't think of that.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Why put so many barriers to obtaining a bike licence? I'm happy to admit that maybe the test should be slightly more involved than it was in my day but the DSA seem to be taking the piss.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

It does seem that there are many obstacles in the way of getting a bike license.
(Cue Hovis advert music.)
It wasn’t like that in my day. Strap a set of L plates to your 250 half listen to the bloke in the bike shop explaining the controls and away you wobble!
(I wasn’t that daft. RAC-ACU course for me. Not sure how I’d have survived otherwise.)
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I did my theory test about 12 years ago when I was doing my bike lessons. It was a piece of piss.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

A bit more theory is probably a good idea, I know people who've only done CBTs & there's amazing amount of how roads work that they don't know.

I'm sure making it harder to get a bike licence is part of the plan. After all they dribble on about zero deaths etc & one of the best ways to help that along is to remove a more vulnerable class of road users.
Private signature, do not read
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Jerzy Woking wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:44 pm Mike D-what is the comfort like on the new Cubs? How many hours a day were you riding? What is their cruising speed?

Good going, I do like doing tours on something small now and again
It depends how tall and how much of a fat fuck (like me) you are, I'm 6'1" and 15 1/2 stone and i'm probably a bit big for it, the seat could do with being about 3" further back. That said, i fitted that brown seat cover and cut 1" of firm and 1" of reflex foam to go under it and it's miles better than stock. The problem is they've molded the seat to go up at the rear to clear the grab handle that's underneath it so there's a ridge you sit on. I use it every day for work (35 mile round trip) at the mo and it's fine.

Longest day was probably 190 miles and about 5/6 hours riding or so, most days were 2/3/4/5 hours. Cruising speed doesn't seem to matter how it's loaded, hills and headwinds are the enemy. You have to work it but it'll sit at a gps 55/58 quite happily. I saw 70 but that was very briefly down a big hill :lol: Speedo over reads about 10%. Fuel range is a bit pitiful, it's only got a 3.7l tank, which gives about 75 miles til the fuel gauge is flashing. that leaves about 1l left so max tank is 100 or so miles. It wasn't a problem at all on the trip though, after 75 miles on it you're ready for a break. Apart from the odd massive hill they were no hindrance to traffic at all.

They are a proper hoot to ride, my old C90 is like riding one of those kiddies playground spring things, this one is actually good, the angles of lean you can manage are comedy :D :lol:
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

The speedo on my c90 is exactly right according to those speed flashy warning things.
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

My 74 is the same, speedo is bang on. I took it out alongside my mates black C125 and he just disappeared off into the distance