I taxed the car! Yippee! Had to go to the post office due to nothing coming from the dreaded DVLA since I changed the plates... a whole year ago! I have checked and the address and all details are correct but...
I was truly dreading it, I have the fear and it is terrible at the moment but the guy in the P.O. was great, took my V62 and it was all done in about 3 minutes. He agreed that DVLA are fucking terrible at the moment and he suggested I 'might' see the new V5 in about 8 weeks!
£355 lighter though...
Buoyed with this major success, I decided to take his royal fatness to the park (he was on guard dog duty while I went into the shop - he does have some use) and in doing so, I misjudged a corner slightly (a very narrow road with grass banks either side, with stones etc in it) and I must have hit a stone in the bank. The noise was horrendous! I fully expected I'd done major damage to the side skirt, possibly the bottom of the door or wing.
When I stopped and let the dog bounce on my balls, I checked (with some trepidation it must be said, I was already trying to remember the phone number of the painter I like) and nothing at all to be seen. Ah, the rear wheel! Just scuffed on the edge but the noise sounded awful. I am a nightmare with these wheels though I usually only scuff them parking.
I bled the van's brakes. I normally use one of those horrible orange rubber pipes with the slit in it, but I tried using a 12" length of clear silicon type pipe open at the end. This is not earth shattering stuff but I've started...
I put the pipe on the nipple and held it so it was going upwards and got the Mrs to shove the pedal down slowly and opened the nipple fractionally after she'd started. I saw a stream of bubbles and a bit of fluid, she shouted when the pedal reached the floor and I closed the nipple. She'd now got a pedal, and I opened it very slightly again at the point it went hard, to see a couple of tiny bubbles, then that was it. I did the same on the other side and just got one small bubble out and that was also it, pedal was perfect.
I reckon it wasted less fluid this way, about a 2 inches column it in the pipe and no pot to tip up as you try to balance it on the axle.
I should mention I'd had a clamp on the rear flexy pipe so knew the air hadn't entered the rest of the system when I had the brake backplate off earlier.
I usually drip bleed brakes but my Pennant did not want it it to be done this way. I remember it being a pain last time I rebuilt the brakes. I got someone to sit in and do the pedal while I worked the nipples but still only got half a pedal at best. I suppose it may need a master cylinder, its got to be 25 years old now